Chapter 123

Chapter 123

Katya blinked.

"Of course," Katya responded after a beat. "We will let you go home soon, but first we want to find out some more information about you so that we can prove our scientific discovery,"

"You want to prove mermaids exist?" Jenny asked.

Katya nodded, surprised by the girl's intuitiveness.

"Why would I help you do that?"

"This would be a great breakthrough in human research into proving the existence of mythological beings," Katya said excitedly, "It has been my life's work, finding evidence of mythological creatures – you are the evidence that we need,"

"What if we don't want to be proven?" Jenny asked with a frown.

"Then...um..." Katya was at a loss for words. "I guess I hadn't thought of that,"

After a beat, Katya started again.

"So, you call yourselves mermaids?" Katya followed up.

Jenny nodded. She didn't see any harm in answering that question. She thought Katya looked genuine. She wasn't sure about the man hovering nearby though.

"What is your name?"

"Jenny," she answered without much thought.

"That's...such a human name," Katya mumbled too quiet for Jenny to hear.

"It's nice to meet you Jenny. My name is Dr Katya Alekhin," she said louder. "I'm sorry we had to meet under these circumstances. Can you tell me how old you are?"

"I'm ten," Jenny answered proudly. Jenny moved off the rock into the water and swam closer to the glass where Katya was standing.

"Where do you live?" Katya asked.

"I can't tell you that," Jenny said shaking her head.

"Oh, of course," Katya smiled. "I meant, do you live in the ocean? Or someplace else? I noticed that you breathe air,"

"Yeah, we don't have gills," Jenny echoed her father's words. "We don't live in the ocean. We just spend a lot of time in it,"

"Thanks for answering my questions," Katya said. "So that we can make you comfortable, what do mermaids eat? Do you want some fish, seaweed..." she trailed off.

Jenny made a face.

"No thanks," she said. "I eat human food, thank you very much," Jenny paused, thinking for a second, "Can I get a happy meal from McDonalds?" she asked. "I love the chicken nuggets,"

Katya stared shocked. This girl clearly knew a lot about human culture. But how?

Katya recovered. "I'll see what I can do,"

OoOoO

Jenny wasn't sure how much she should be sharing. Her family had said never to tell anyone that she was a mermaid, but these people had caught her as a mermaid.

Did this mean that she shouldn't reveal her nature as a human?

She had also been warned that if she was outed as a mermaid, she could become a science experiment. Jenny deduced that she was currently a science experiment, and as she ate her McDonalds, decided that so far, it wasn't so bad. Katya was nice. She still hadn't had interactions with anyone else. Jenny would be cautiously optimistic. She knew she wouldn't be in here too long, once her family found her.

Katya returned a short time later and found Jenny swimming around in the tank.

"Jenny," she began, "I need to take some biological samples. Would you let me take a small sample of blood, and a few scales?"