Chapter 122

Chapter 122

Ringing. What was that ringing sound?

Why wouldn't her eyes open?

Why did it feel like cement was running through her veins?

Jenny. Open your eyes.

This chant to herself (and a lot of effort) helped her to succeed.

Jenny blearily opened her eyes.

Low lighting. Blue.

Her eyes closed again.

Come on! Keep your eyes open.

Blue. Water. She was underwater.

As Jenny came back to consciousness, the ringing in her ears started to fade. And as this happened, she realised her lungs were feeling tight. Not quite burning, but she was definitely uncomfortable. Oh and ow! Her upper tail hurt. A lot.

Survival mode kicked in and she felt herself wake up properly. She took in her surroundings.

Metal.

Cage.

Jenny's stomach dropped. She was in a cage.

A cage!

Okay, don't panic. She would take a deep breath in but she was underwater.

Oh no. How long had she been out? How long could she go without air?

Was everyone else okay?

Jenny moved in the cage, turning around to look behind her.

Ah, the cage was attached to a boat. They were moving slowly through the water.

Jenny looked up. She spotted a little camera in one of the top corners.

She would think about that later. Right now, she needed air. She would've liked some after the race – because that was a lot of energy...but she got kidnapped before she could.

Kidnapped. That is scary.

She shook her head as if getting rid of the thought, and focussed on examining the cage.

As the boat moved, the cage was moving up and down. If she timed it right, she might get a mouthful of air at the top of the cage.

Jenny gripped onto the bars of the roof of the cage and held herself in place, ready to take a gulp. If she was a human, she would have needed to worry about water going down the wrong pipe. Fortunately, mermaids were designed for the water – so she could gulp air along with water, and the water would go out of the lungs without issue. This was different to gills, her dad Lewis had explained, as gills take oxygen from water. Mermaids need to breathe oxygen from the air. Baby Fi with her gills being the exception to the rule.

As the cage lifted slightly, Jenny held her face to the top bars of the cage and took in a deep breath.

Oh that felt good. Jenny felt the oxygen rushing into her lungs, relieving some of that tightness (she definitely gasped in some water then, but it would be fine soon).

Jenny did it a few more times until the tightness in her lungs was relieved.

She was much more comfortable now. Well, she still had the sore tail and she was kidnapped by who knows who and had no idea where she was being taken – so that wasn't fun. She was still terrified but she relaxed and closed her eyes.

Mum! Jenny called over mindspeak, hoping that she would hear. I need help!

OoOoO