Chapter 74

Chapter 74

Rikki sat up straight in bed, screaming. It took her a second to register that it was just a dream. She had just witnessed Zane’s death; he fell to his death because of her. Because he did not remember her, and she scared him. Into his death. She was thoroughly shaken. She took a few deep breaths, her heart beat racing. Zane stirred and opened his eyes. Rikki silently prayed that he had not backslidden.

He saw Rikki sitting up, clutching her knees fearfully and immediately had his arms around her. He felt her relax slightly.

“What’s wrong, love?” he asked dazedly.

“It was just a nightmare,” she said shakily. He drew her close, Rikki snuggling into his chest.

“What happened?” Zane asked tentatively.

After a moments silence, Rikki drew a deep breath and spoke quietly. “I lost you, and it was my entire fault,”

“You won’t lose me,”

“How do I know that Zane? You already have me on edge every day,” a tear escaped her eye. “What happens if one day you can’t remember anything again and I scare you away? I don’t know if I would be able to cope,”

Zane had no reassuring words. His mind was hazy.

“What is the last thing you remember?” Rikki asked. A thoughtful expression came onto her husband’s face. Then one of shock. Rikki waited in anticipation.

“I remember getting into bed last night after we came back from….the hospital? Why was I hesitant about getting into bed with you? We’ve been married for ages!” Zane exclaimed. A round of happy sobs wracked Rikki’s body this time, as she clung to him.

“You remember everything,” she sighed happily. “You’ve been having relapses of amnesia,”

He ran his fingers through her loose hair. “I remember it. The feeling of not knowing anything is like hell, Rikki. An emptiness that swallows you up. The endless questions,” he trailed off. “Just know that even if I don’t remember at the time, it’s still me and a part of me will always love you.”

The couple drifted off to sleep once again, in each other’s embrace. Rikki hoped that this Zane would still be there in the morning. Unfortunately, it was not to be so. When Alex and Jay came into the bedroom the following morning, Zane stared at the children in shock. Rikki’s heart sank again. She did not know how much more of this she could take.

“Come on, boys,” she said. After fixing them breakfast, she returned to the bedroom. Zane was sitting on the edge of the bed staring into space.

“This is like one of those movies where I’ve been transported forward in time, isn’t it,” he muttered. “Would you mind explaining to me who those kids were and why they looked so much like both of us, Rikki?”