Chapter 110

Chapter 110

As Ryan scrambled for the controls, the trio moved towards him, easily getting past the locked door.

"Come on, come on!" he muttered. The circuits were fried. The boat was not moving any time soon. Ryan breathed in deeply and turned to face the doorway, his hand protectively on the necklace.

"Hand it over, Ryan," Rikki commanded.

Ryan shook his head stubbornly. The three moved ominously closer.

"Stop!" Ryan shouted.

There it was again – that feeling of powerlessness from the necklace. The trio faltered slightly. Ryan began to smirk. The mermaids forced it down and out of their minds. It couldn't influence them anymore. Just like they had conquered the moonlight all those years ago, a silly mer artefact wasn't going to get in their way now.

As they regained their pace, Ryan's hopeful expression dropped of his face.

"We'll be taking that," Rikki said to Ryan as Cleo unfastened the necklace.

"Thieves," Ryan accused with a sneer.

"We're just returning it to the rightful owner," Emma replied.

The three moved out to the main room, Khasha and Jessie were just starting to come around.

"Wait," Ryan called out, "If you don't give that back, I'll tell everyone about you – all about what you are!"

"Would you really stoop so low?" Cleo asked, ignoring the thought that said 'well, he did just order your own friends to attack you,'

"All I wanted was proof," he pleaded.

"No one will believe you," Rikki said, "People are quite happy believing that magic and the dangerous mythical creatures are just stories – I doubt they'd want to find out the truth. People have tried before. No one believes them. Why would anyone believe you?" she finished harshly.

Jessie came to consciousness with a gasp. What had happened? She groaned and rubbed the back of her head. Emma offered her a hand and helped her to her feet.

"Easy, easy," Emma coaxed. "You're okay,"

They helped Jessie and Khasha outside. Both were in a daze. Ryan watched as the group moved to the deck, and dived into the water, Rikki carrying the necklace.

Cleo was sad at what Ryan had done, but did not want to leave him with more reasons to be angry.

"Goodbye Ryan. Take care of yourself," Cleo said.

Ryan nodded, a stumped expression on his face. With that, she too dived into the water.

Ryan moved to lean on the railing.

What on earth had just happened.

Ryan felt incredibly drained. As the necklace moved further away from him, he felt his body relax, and his emotions unjumble. A sudden realisation hit him: While he felt like he had been in control of himself and his actions while having the necklace, the necklace had actually been heightening his emotions and influencing his actions to become much more hot-headed and violent that he would have been. In some ways, it was probably a good thing that it was no longer with him. Who knew what he would have done to the two mermaids under his control.

Wait.

He had two mermaids under his control.

Cleo and Rikki were mermaids.

He had met five mermaids in one evening. FIVE.

He had found out that there were not only 'traditional' mermaids, but there were mermaids who lived on land – pretending to be humans – just like Cleo and Rikki. How many mermaids were there? He had seen their powers in action. What would happen if mermaids one day wanted to get rid of the humans?