Chapter 124

Chapter 124

"Ryan," Katya bit out angrily. "How could you?"

Ryan stared at Katya for a second.

"How could I?" He responded, seething, "I've done what I've needed to do. More importantly: How dare you! You just let our evidence walk out the door!"

"Ryan," Katya growled his name. "I am not a kidnapper. You just made me help you kidnap a child! This is a line I did not agree to cross!"

"That was a mermaid, not a human. You were quite happy to when it was just a mermaid we were taking," Ryan justified. "Besides, we need real evidence for anyone to believe our research findings,"

"That is not a real excuse, Ryan," Katya said. "You clearly know a lot more about mermaids than you have let on. You knew Jenny's mother by name. You knew that the mermaids live among us on land. You probably even knew that the mermaid children are enrolled at school!"

Ryan's silence told Katya everything she needed to know.

"We'll be lucky if we're not reported to the police," Katya said woefully.

"They won't report to the police," Ryan said. "Even if they did, this place would become a crime scene to prove the kidnapping happened – and the crime scene is full of mermaid DNA. It could expose them – they won't risk that now that they have Jenny back,"

Katya felt sick.

"You really are a calculating fiend," she uttered.

He had known about them already, he had thought about potential consequences, and still went ahead with it. He went ahead with a kidnapping. Katya couldn't believe it. It was like the man's ethics had disappeared.

"I've done what I need to do to prove to the world that mermaids exist," Ryan said icily.

"I will continue to do what I need to do. Today's work got us multiple fresh biological samples from a real mermaid. Samples that should be solid evidence. You need to decide if you want to prove this, Katya," Ryan locked eyes with her. "And remember that we have a deal,"

"I...I need time to think," Katya said, conflicted. Her heart felt heavy and her stomach churned. What had she got herself into?

With one last look at the tank, Katya left the warehouse.

OoOoO

Rikki, Cleo and Jenny had hurried out of the warehouse.

Cleo held on to Jenny's hand, as if she was scared to let it go - to let her daughter out of her sight. This was probably very true.

Cleo sent out a message over mindspeak to everyone saying that Jenny was safe. They also told the kids to wait at the mainland house after school and not go in the water without an adult, just in case. Texts were sent to the non-mers by Anna after she received the mindspeak message.

Cleo, Rikki and Jenny walked along the waterfront for some time before diving into the water and heading back to Mako. They did not want to go in the water too near to the warehouse in case there were traps.

As Cleo, Rikki and Jenny pulled themselves from the water onto the sand on the Mako Island beach, there was a mutually agreed, unspoken "pause."

All three of them lay back on the sand, looking up at the clear blue sky.

"Thanks for coming to get me," Jenny said quietly. Cleo squeezed her hand.

"Always," Cleo responded "I love you sweetie,"

They rested in their relief on the sand until their tails dried naturally.

The trio walked up to the village.