Chapter 135

Chapter 135

Katya and Vera met with Linda to discuss the legalities of joining the research team and Linda signed a non-disclosure agreement. Dr Denman being involved in mermaid research again felt like things were coming full circle.

Over the next days, Katya, Linda, Lewis and Alan met multiple times to discuss the parameters of the research, the boundaries, no-goes and acceptable information to share. The discussions were shared with the mers as well to consider and edits were made to the planning accordingly. It was decided that anything about mer-metamorphosis would not be included – the mers really did not need interested people checking out the moon pool and causing chaos by becoming mers on full moons. The girls still remembered their 'baby mermaid' days with moon sickness vividly. The research was about proving the existence of mermaids, not the how. Relatedly, they would not include anything about mermaid pods or underwater kingdoms. They would include facts and evidence of the DNA, photographs (faces blurred), and abilities (such as their swimming ability, breath-holding, way of communicating, transition between tail and legs). They decided they would not mention the magic abilities as this might freak the general population out – especially if they were sharing that mermaids could transition to having legs and could be among them when dry.

To reinforce the evidence, when the research was completed, the mer scale sample and autosomal DNA results (anonymised) would be shown to the academics peer reviewing the article and possibly would be shared more widely – depending on the critical response.

With the plan in place, the research began. Anna, Ben, Rikki and Cleo were the main participants, however Bella, Jessie and Emma also joined in for some tasks. Having Ben participate added in another layer to the research – being able to compare and contrast mermen to mermaids.

Anna, Ben, Rikki and Cleo provided scales for the scientists to run tests on and get the genome sequencing.

When comparing the genome results for each scale sample, Katya made an interesting discovery. As expected, the DNA results for each sample matched Katya's earlier findings. The DNA sequences for both 'dry' and 'wet' samples were the same – the mers had 48 chromosomes (two more than humans, four more than dolphins), and 98% of the mer DNA matched human DNA, 1% matched DNA found in dolphins and whales, and 1% did not match any other known creature's DNA. It appeared that this 1% was the unique factor along with the 2 extra chomosomes. The scientists documented the complete change in cell structure between dry and wet. As Katya was examining the additional samples alongside Dr Denman, she noticed a subtle difference in shape of each cell – in both human and mer forms. In Rikki and Anna's samples, their cells appeared narrower. In Jessie and Bella's samples, their cells appeared to have a thin 'film' around the nucleus. In Ben and Emma's samples, their cells were wider. Anna, Ben, Cleo and Jessie had enlarged vacuoles (membrane-bound sacs which function for taking in and disposing waste and storing water and vitamins) within each cell, but Cleo's was by far the largest. While subtle differences, Katya wondered what might be making the cells different between the mers. She discussed it with Linda but she was also unsure what the reason might be.

"Lewis?" Katya called out.

"Yep?" Lewis popped his head in the doorway.

"Linda and I have been looking at the cell differences between all the mers. Since you know them best, is there any obvious reason that we've missed? We've detailed the differences here," Katya pointed to her whiteboard.

"Hmm" Lewis considered. "Oh! Fascinating! These groups you've drawn up are related to the powers they each have access to!"

"Oh wow!" Katya responded a grin spreading across her face.

"Of course!" Linda said.

"Yeah, Rikki and Anna have control over heat –the narrow cells, Emma and Ben control ice – the wider cells, Bella and Jessie turn water into jelly or harden it – the 'film', Cleo controls water, and Ben, Anna and Jessie do too – just with less raw strength than Cleo. The enlarged vacuoles must be related to this access to controlling water. Or maybe the cell differences is just a disposition towards a particular magical skill? I don't think we'll ever know for sure, and there is going to be a largely magical component there too – not just to do with cell shape and structure. But how fascinating! Well done for picking that up Katya!" Lewis commented.