Chapter 101

Chapter 101

A short time into their trip, Rikki slowed to a stop.

'Do you feel like you're being watched?' She asked the others.

They had left the Yasawa Islands behind and were now at the southern end of the Fijian archipelago.

Emma looked around. 'Yeah... but I can't see anything'

'There!' Rikki exclaimed into their minds. Something sped past them too quick to see clearly.

Suddenly, they were surrounded.

OoOoO

'Whoa,' Jessie said.

There were not just one or two mermaids, there had to be at least twenty encircling all of them. Where had they come from? Surely they would have noticed twenty mermaids following them? The mermaid leaders looked surprised to see children with the group. The strange mermaids had blue patterns on their arms and faces; they looked to be tattoos of some kind. Their scales seemed to have a purplish tinge. All of the mermaids had their hands out; essentially, they had their powers at the ready. A few of them had tridents fashioned from the water. In response, the group raised their hands, the children following their mothers' demonstrations.

'Stand your ground,' Rikki warned.

'Who are you?' one of the mermaids closest to Cleo asked. She had to be the leader. 'What are you doing spying in our waters?'

'Spying?' Cleo responded.

'We're not spies,' Emma said. 'We're just passing through.'

'Really?' the leader said. 'Why should we believe you?' she asked suspiciously.

'We've been visiting in the Yasawa Islands, North of here. We're on holiday from Australia and we are returning there now. We have our children with us, see?'

The leader looked confused.

'You have male children with you. Mermaids are not permitted to keep their male offspring,'

The group was shocked. What happened to the mermen?

'As we said, we are not from around here,' Rikki put in. 'May we go on our way?'

'We have to make sure you're not spies. Come with us,' the leader said.

What had they got themselves into now?

OoOoO

'Mummy? What's going on?' Andy asked her mother.

'I'm not sure, sweetie,' Cleo replied. 'It's just a misunderstanding – we'll be fine.'

'Are you sure you want to lead us to where you live?' Rikki asked. 'If we were spies, are you sure leading us straight to you is a great idea?'

This made the leader hesitate. She seemed to be mind speaking to her second in command...or maybe even the leaders at their home. After a few minutes, she spoke to them again.

'Queen Varine requests an audience with you, despite the risk. She believes your story and wants to know how you have maintained possession of your male young.'

At least that was somewhat comforting. The group looked at each other before following the strangers.

OoOoO