Chapter 76

Chapter 76

He was right. He could not believe the sight in front of him - a real life mermaid.

“Hunter, please,” Jessie began.

“I knew it,” Hunter breathed. Anna had her hand behind her back, drying Jessie off slowly, hoping Hunter would not notice the mist rising from her tail. Hunter grabbed his cell phone from his pocket.

“Please, let’s think rationally about this,” Jessie pleaded. “Please don’t,” He was about to take the picture.

“Why not? This is an amazing find! What are you going to do to stop me?”

“If you expose me, I’ll never be normal again,” Jessie said. Hunter interrupted.

“Were you ever normal to start with?” he scoffed. “Maybe if you had been honest with me, I would have taken a different approach. How much money do you think a picture would get me?”

“Please don’t take a picture, Hunter,” Anna asked. “You’ll put her in a lot of danger,”

Hunter put his phone down momentarily, shooting an accusing look at Anna.

“Why are you so calm, Anna? You obviously knew. Why would she tell you?”

“Because we are good friends, nothing more,”

“Why would you suggest that there is more? Are you hiding something?” The two stared at each other for a few seconds before Hunter gave up the contest and his gaze returned to Jessie on the floor. He brought his phone up and snapped a picture a split second before Jessie’s body returned to its human form.

“Don’t you dare,” Anna exclaimed.

“Why not? This picture could win me a lot of money,” Hunter said snarkily.

“People would never believe you, a picture is hardly proof,” Anna said, “A lot of things can be done with Photoshop,”

“I’ll find someone,” Hunter said.

“Hunter,” Jessie began warningly, “I can’t let you take that away from here,”

“Do you know how much danger you could put her in?” Anna asked in disbelief, “Do you know what scientists do to things they don’t understand? Would you let Jessie be dissected like a lab rat? Would you like to have something like that on your conscience?”

“But wouldn’t it be right to let people know that magic exists? That creatures of the old stories are real?” Hunter argued.

“At what cost?” Jessie said quietly. “I’m warning you Hunter, something bad will happen to you if you attempt to expose me, I can promise you that,” Although Jessie’s voice was quiet, there was a menacing undertone creeping to the surface. “You don’t know what I can do,”