Chapter 132

Chapter 132

Hubbub, hustle and bustle were the best words to describe the dining hall that next morning. It was a week day and everyone was getting ready for work or school. Everyone ate at different intervals, then Zane and Ash started doing the dishes as the other parents helped the children to pack their lunches. Amidst this Anna briefly spoke to each adult organising a meeting after work – they would chat while the kids were playing (as they did every day after school). Each adult agreed that it would be good to chat about all that had happened and plans moving forward. Anna didn't specifically mention Katya, but it was on theme with 'plans moving forward'. Once everyone was ready, they all raincoated up and got onboard the boats to head to the mainland to start their days.

Once everyone was back home that evening, and the children were playing together, the adults met in the dining hall and made themselves coffees and teas. After a brief chat about their days, Anna started.

"Thanks for meeting here everyone," they all turned to look at her. "Cleo and I were chatting last night and thought it was important to chat about what has happened, and specifically Katya's proposal."

"Remind me what the proposal was again?" Will asked.

"We didn't have time to discuss it in too much depth, but Katya has drafted a research article on mermaids. Her proposal was that we allow her to publish it on our terms," Anna explained.

"No way." Emma interjected.

"Hold on," Anna replied. "Before we shut it down completely, let's talk through the pros and cons. I really think we should think through this opportunity,"

"Opportunity! You're talking like we should be thanking her of thinking of ways to reveal our secret to the world," Rikki said antagonistically.

"I agree with Anna," Cleo said. "Let's talk through the pros and cons. If the cons really outweigh the pros, then we can just tell Katya 'no'. She said she wouldn't do anything with it without our consent, and I believe her."

"Okay, pros and cons. Who has paper and pen?" Bella said. Lewis provided a pad and Bella tore two pages off and wrote 'Pros' and 'Cons' at the top of each.
"We'll start with the cons because that seems to be most at the forefront of everyone's minds," Bella directed. She could feel the tension coming off a few people. "This is just a discussion, not a decision. Relax!"

"First con anyone?" Anna asked.

"It would reveal that mermaids exist, making us at more risk of being exposed," Emma said. Bella scribbled this down.

"Yeah, if it is common knowledge, then more people might look out for us in the water," Rikki commented. "We could be hunted or poached – and the born-mermaids in their pods could be found out and hunted too,"

"Scientists would experiment on mermaids. Oh, they could weaponise our powers!" Ben said, eyes wide.

"I think you've seen too many sci-fi movies, Ben," Anna commented, patting her husband's arm. "But valid cons I guess," she chuckled. Bella wrote it down.

"We've kept the secret for so long – I guess it would feel like giving up to just let everyone know," Cleo said quietly. Emma and Rikki nodded in agreement.

"If our names and faces become associated with mermaids, our friends and coworkers wouldn't look at us the same, and there might be broken trust from those we haven't told. Also, fame is not something that I want," Emma said.

"That's a good point. We would want to tell the people we know before it gets out if that ended up happening," Bella replied.

"You could be exploited for more research opportunities," Lewis contributed.