Chapter 85

Chapter 85

A few hours later, Lewis arrived back at Mako. He would ask on Alan’s behalf, but if that didn’t work, he’d get Alan to come over and ask himself.

“Hey Cleo,” Lewis said, kissing his wife’s cheek.

“Hi,” she smiled, “How was work?”

“The same as usual,” Lewis began, “Alan told me that Denman has officially bought the photos and she wanted to know what we wanted to do with them,”

“Great!” Cleo said. “Why am I sensing that it’s not perfect?”

“Well, she wanted to be here for the burning of the pictures – Alan asked if she could be here,”

“Oh,” Cleo said, “Right. Well, I’m okay with it, but I’m not sure our friends will be. I still don’t trust her but if she is willing to give us the photos without anything in return…I am ready to think she has changed,”

“I told Alan that I would ask you guys, but he wants to come over and try to convince you if I can’t,”

“That probably won’t be necessary, but Rikki’s going to be the hardest to get to…I’ll talk to her,”

OoOoO

Later that afternoon, Rikki and Emma met Cleo at the McCartney household. They had predicted Rikki’s reaction correctly.

“What!” she exclaimed, getting up from the couch, “You cannot be serious – you can’t seriously be suggesting bringing the woman who caused so many problems in the past to our safe haven, our island! Once she sees everything here, what’s stopping her from getting obsessed again?”

“Rikki,” Cleo began. Emma was not sure what her own thoughts on the matter were. True, she didn’t trust Denman, but she hadn’t exposed them and she had bought the pictures…what if she really did just want to be a part of it.

“No, Cleo. Don’t tell me you bought whatever sob story she said to you,” Rikki ignored her.

“Rikki, if you would just listen for a second,” Cleo tried again. “Before you make all these assumptions, can I at least explain properly?”

“Fine,” Rikki sat down on the couch once more.

“Denman was invited by Alan – she is not forcing herself on us – actually she doesn’t expect to be accepted. Alan asked us on her behalf. You trust Alan right?”