Chapter 92

Chapter 92

The little mermaids splashed happily as they floated away. At first the pace was steady and the dads were on their heels. Unfortunately, another torrent of water joined the first, and the mermaids were hurtling down hill. Was this even possible? What a storm.

They needed to catch them before they reached the stream...which was probably a river right now. The men picked up their speed as they weaved around the trees. Will was leading, with Ash closely on his heels. The less fit Zane and Lewis were trailing.

"Hello," Amelia waved excitedly, splashing her hands against the water as she and the others were carried away.

"Amy!" Ash exclaimed, moving to duck around yet another tree. "Swim towards me," he yelled breathlessly. The little girl looked confused.

"Girls, swim against the current towards us! You will get chocolate!" Will said, offering an incentive. Their little faces lit up at the suggestion. The trio began to swim towards the men - without much success. What it did do was slow their movement enough for Will and Ash to pluck them out of the water. Ash held Amelia close into his chest, as he regained his breath. Will had Natalie and Maddie in his arms. When Will had grabbed Natalie the first time, she had slipped from his grasp, literally, like a fish. A few attempts later, he had both girls in his arms. Phew. That was close. The stream turned river was only ten metres away. Lewis and Zane arrived breathing heavily. Lewis was bent over with his hands on his knees.

"Thank God," Lewis puffed. "I thought we would be running forever."

The drenched men carried the girls back to the village. This was perhaps a more difficult task than normal, the girls' tails and scales making them slippery. When they arrived back, Zane and Lewis - at the front - went to walk through the doorway. Of course, it was that moment that they were met by an enormous wave of water. It knocked them back and they floated a few metres. Lewis coughed and spluttered briefly.

"What was that?" he demanded. Fortunately, Ash and Will had missed the onslaught.

Ben was in human form, sitting on the couch with Hayden in his arms. He had hauled himself up onto the couch where he had used his powers to remove the water from that object of furniture and his body.

"I think that'll do us, Stef," he said. "Well done."

Stefani looked mightily proud of herself. Ben and Stefani had finally stopped the drips and cracks in the ceiling. In order to be able to leave the couch without turning, Ben gathered the large amount of water covering the floor with his powers and began directing it out the open door. He did not bank on the other men arriving at that moment. Ben felt something, or rather someone, interrupting the flow of his powers.