Chapter 72

Chapter 72

Zane’s P.O.V

“Zane, honey, calm down,” the strange woman tried to say evenly but he heard a slight hitch in her voice. Zane. Was that my name? It sounded familiar. Honey. His girlfriend perhaps? I managed to think this as I scrambled to the corner of the room, as if it would somehow shelter me from the empty depths of my mind.  The woman put her hands up in surrender, as if to show that she did not mean any harm. I relaxed. Only slightly. My heart still thudding in my chest. She had turned the bed lamp on. A glint of something on her hand. A ring! A wife? I had a wife? Why couldn’t I remember? As she came closer, I realised my head hurt. It hurt a lot. As the adrenaline began to thin, I realised that I was feeling strange; sick yet as if I was on a cloud – my brain flying high above the world. I was so tired.

“Zane?” I heard her call. I was relaxing. So, so tired. My eyelids began to close and the world became black.

Normal P.O.V

“Zane?” Rikki questioned worriedly. She had been watching his face; amazed to see so many expressions and emotions pass through there in mere seconds. He began to slump against the wall. His eyes began to flutter shut. No. This was not good! A person with a head injury is not allowed to sleep! Or, at least she thought that this was right. What should she do? Take him to the hospital? Wait for him to wake up?

Cleo!’ she shouted into her friend’s mind. Rikki heard a sleepy reply.

Zane just relapsed and I don’t know what to do. Wake up Lewis! And tell him to get over here!’ Rikki continued frantically.

OoOoO

Rikki was pacing the floor, waiting for Lewis to arrive, pondering what on earth to do.

Zane was vaguely aware of the other man’s arrival. He heard voices discussing frantically. He felt himself be lifted up, his arm draped across the man’s shoulder. When he regained consciousness fully, he was on a boat. He heard the water splashing against the sides. The blonde woman, his wife he assumed, was holding his hand.  A strange brunette woman was rubbing Rikki’s back comfortingly. The man was driving the boat. Zane’s emotions and thoughts were all jumbled together.

“Who am I?” he muttered. “Where am I?” he demanded. His head was pounding.

“Who am I? Who am I?” he asked repeatedly. His companions were getting increasingly worried. Zane continued muttering the same questions under his breath. He looked up and his brown eyes met Rikki’s blue. He stopped mumbling. He felt strangely safe in those orbs. He reached out and cupped her face with his hand. He did not know what compelled him to, but it just felt right. She placed her own hand over his.