Chapter 68

Chapter 68

When Hunter returned to the office, he was uncharacteristically quiet; a nice contrast to the rage he had previously exhibited. He had thought it over and was annoyed with himself for reacting the way he did. Jessie’s explanation was perfectly logical. However, Hunter still had a niggling doubt about Alan’s innocence. Although he did not know the man well, Hunter knew he felt intense hatred towards Alan - this was fuelled mainly from jealousy. ‘Pull yourself together, man,” he told himself.

OoOoO

By the following week, Hunter was acting as if nothing had happened. The bruise beneath Jessie’s eye had almost completely faded. In the first days following his outburst, he noticed his colleagues were keeping their distance. He had frightened them. He decided to restore his – what he saw as friendship- to Anna and Jessie. They were hesitant at first but welcomed how calm he seemed. They hoped that this would be the end of the drama surrounding their colleague.

OoOoO

Cleo rocked her baby back and forth gently, smiling down at him. Lewis sat down beside his wife, putting his arm around her. She leant over and kissed him. Lewis stoked Hayden’s cheek.

“It seems like just yesterday he came into the world,” Cleo said quietly. “I can’t believe it’s been a year.”

OoOoO

A few days after Hayden’s first birthday, Jessie was having an extremely boring day at work. Anna was out surveying for a client and Hunter was in a consultation. Jessie was writing an extremely dull report. While she was thinking, she moulded water from her glass into bubbles and other shapes before guiding it towards her mouth. Little did she know that Hunter’s consultation was shorter than normal. Hunter entered the room to their office. Jessie had not noticed that he had arrived. He watched in awe. Was she superhuman? The way she was controlling the water was as if he had just walked into a comic strip. He closed the door quietly and came closer, watching her hand’s movements. Jessie stopped abruptly, feeling his presence behind her. She turned around.

“How long have you been here for?”

“I just arrived.” Hunter replied. Jessie realised that he had probably seen a lot more than she’d like. He sat down at his desk. He had a silent look of wonder on his face. Was it all his imagination? It seemed unlikely. He had to ask although he knew she would probably deny it.

“Jess, be honest with me; did I just see that?”