Chapter 84

Chapter 84

Friday came around and everyone was decidedly nervous. Hunter and Denman’s meeting was today. Denman was going to buy the photos.

Hunter came into Dr Denman’s office, a smirk on his face. Linda was feeling grim but she plastered a fake smile over her expression.

“Mr Tasman, do sit down. My lawyer will be here in a moment,”

Denman’s lawyer was one of the best and took the confidentiality part of his services very seriously. Denman knew she could trust him – also he was an old and dear friend.

“Mr Hunter Tasman, this is Mr Pierre Foveaux,” The two men shook hands. They quickly got down to business. Foveaux read out the agreement he had drawn up with Denman’s supervision.  The most significant parts essentially said that Denman now had full proprietorship over the photos and all research that may come from them. Hunter was forbidden of the speaking of, and the sharing of the photos and mermaids, especially in relation to the test subject. The confidentiality agreement meant that he could not bother Jessie in any way in relation to the photos, nor could he sell mermaid pictures to any other scientific interest group, or share or hold onto the photos in question, otherwise he would break the law and Denman could sue him for all his worth. It meant that unless Hunter was incredibly stupid, he would stop pursuing mermaids and Jessie.

Hunter handed over the photos and allowed Foveaux to erase the photos from his camera, phone and laptop hard-drive, and triple check. He assured them the photos were not on any other device; he just wanted his money.

Lewis came to Denman earlier that morning with the ten thousand dollars. The Mako residents had all contributed money; living on an island saved on many expenses, and it was the least they could do for their friend. Also, the photos could endanger their livelihoods as well.

Denman pulled the bag of cash from under her desk and passed it over to Hunter.

“Ten thousand, as you asked,” Denman said. “It was a pleasure doing business with you,”

Hunter smirked again. “And you, doctor. Enjoy your research,”

Hunter shook Denman’s and Foveaux’s hands and left the room.

“That man…” Foveaux began. “He is…slimy,” Denman just nodded. She looked down at the photos. She had a USB and the hard copies. What should she do with them now that she had them?

OoOoO