Chapter 73

Chapter 73

Zane watched Rikki as she told him about all the amazing things that had happened in all the time he was missing. He felt himself swell with love for this girl every time her eyes lit up and when a smile covered her face. At the same time, he felt guilty. She should not have to fill him in on his own life. But then again, he couldn’t have helped what happened.

It was nice to be able to reminisce, Rikki thought. As she began to relay more recent information, she felt herself beginning to get emotional. Was she going to have to tell him the same stories repeatedly? Was he ever going to remember them for himself again? She was talking about Fi’s first smile and heard her voice break, stopping abruptly.

“What’s wrong?” Zane asked concernedly.

“I love you so much,” she replied quietly. A tear escaped her eye. “I don’t know, I don’t think I can keep doing this. My emotions…”

“Shh,” Zane comforted, bringing her to his chest. “I’ll get better,” he tried to reassure her. He hated seeing her cry. He was used to seeing her as a person with resolve as strong as rock. At the same time, he was thrilled. She had said that she loved him. He lifted her chin up and gave her a sweet kiss.

“I love you,” he said firmly. Rikki gave a half-smile as tears poured down her cheeks.

“I’m going to have to reintroduce you to your kids again,” she sniffed. Zane frowned slightly. If this was having this much effect on their mother, how would they cope with relapses?

OoOoO

Zane and Rikki walked hand in hand up the beach on Mako Island.

“So remind me where we live?” he asked. They passed the tree line and began to follow a well-worn path.

“In our village,” she smiled. “We made it with our powers, and a bit of Lewis’ ingenuity.”

As they arrived and Zane took it in, his eyes widened. If you didn’t know that the girls were mermaids, the strangely shaped houses would look like they were made out of glass, or some other unusual substance.

“Amazing,” he breathed. “So which is ours?”

“That one,” Rikki pointed to the first one on the left.

“Sweet,”

OoOoO