Life goes on...

Chapter 31

Jade and her son, Jon had become closer to the whole group. She was becoming rather confused as to why their get-togethers were always at her house, the cafe or Rikki and Zane’s place. Whenever she suggested one of the other’s places the always came up with some kind of excuse to get out of it. Jade was confused. Did they not like her? Did they have something to hide? For the first few weeks, she had brushed it off but she had started thinking about it more often. Jade thought back to teacher’s college where she had been in the same classes as Emma and Bella. They had developed a friendship and she had soon met their friends and boyfriends, becoming a part of their group. It seemed that she was the first new addition since high school. Jade always felt as if they weren’t telling her the whole truth, this leading to when they left teachers college, they had lost contact all together. On both sides, they had tried contacting each other but failed and soon gave up. Jade didn’t go to too big lengths to find them, they had always been exclusive especially once a month, coincidently it had always been on a full moon. Her friends all shared one thing – a chronic fear of water. Again at the time Jade had brushed it aside, everyone had their fears. She had a fear of heights. But then, she had caught the girls all a different times diving into the harbour fully clothed, she never confronted them but had her doubts and was confused. Then there was also fact that she sees them ten years later and they didn’t look as if they had aged a day.

The fact that they didn’t share everything with her meant that their relationship had become strained. Back in contact with them again, there seemed to still be secrets in the air.

After get-togethers at Rikki’s cafe, when they dispersed her friends always seemed to disappear amazingly fast, and never head to the car park. One particular time she had seen Bella diving off the dock. This brought back memories of all the girls doing the same thing when they were younger.

“Why?” was the one question that kept coming up, “Where do they go?” was another.  Jade had decided that she would get to the bottom of it, something wasn’t quite right about them.

OoOoO

A few days after Ash’s birthday, Jade decided she would make a surprise visit to Rikki’s place, she found that the others were often there. Therefore, after work, she turned up on the mainland’s house doorstep. A certain brunette opened the door.

“Cleo, is Rikki in...I thought this was her house?”

“Oh, it is,” Cleo paused, “Rikki’s out...supermarket shopping.”

“Okay, why are you here?”

“The kids are having a play-date and Rikki thought she’d take advantage of an adult in the house and go out and get some more groceries, Zane is working late tonight you see,” Cleo replied. In actual fact,  Cleo had just picked up the kids from school and Rikki had left work early and was back on Mako Island.  ‘Kids, I need you to pretend that you’re having a play date. Rikki is out grocery shopping okay?’ Cleo mind spoke to them. They all knew the importance of keeping the secret even though they were young. ‘Yes Cleo,’ They all replied in unison, Cleo winced as the noise filled her brain.