Chapter Fifty Four + Unedited

The closer the end of the night arrived, the more anxious you became

The closer the end of the night arrived, the more anxious you became. You'd lost count of the number of times you'd hold onto Jungwon for him to stay in your room and had almost locked the door to your dad.

It was only the sound of Daniel's voice in your head, snarking that you were actually backing out because you're scared if Mom had catched on you and Jungwon often sneaking a time to each other in the past few days, that had you pushing his bestfriend into his room in order to avoid suspicion.

And now, you remained sitting in the counter inside the kitchen and staring at the clock. You'd been there for almost ten minutes now and ten minutes more remained before you will leave. But, a part of you hoped Dad will keep Mom until she forget what the two of you needed to talk about. You were willing to use any excuse to get out of this.

But to your annoyance, she arrived in the kitchen at 11 on the dot. As she headed for the seat in front of you, she's busy reliving the events of the last day in Boryeong police station and she failed to notice the shadows of the other two boys in the house. You mean, the father and his son failing to hide themselves in the shadows of the stairs.

"If that repeat again, of you leading yourself into a danger while I'm off to England", Mom whispers, her face undescribable in this close gap. "I will fly back just to get you there with me. At least you will be safer there with our many relatives to take care of you"

This is possibly the worst time in the world to be reminded of what's at stake; facing each other on the counter with your dad and brother listening just yards away. There's nothing in between the two of you but the weight of her warning and your hands were shaking at the thought of leaving everything here for England.

"But I'm perfectly safe here with Dad", you say after a little while, eyeing her suspiciously. Part of you expected her to trick you in a way, so you wondered aloud, "Mom, why are you so scared of everything about me now that I reach this age? You're not even that worried for Daniel than you did to me"

"You're so clueless", she said with a scoff, finally sounding like herself. "Daniel is another topic altogether. He's a boy and still too young to think about love. You were in the exact age where I felt it its intenseness for the first time"

You offer her a questioning look as you asked, "Is that why you keep on preventing me to consider Jungwon? You're scared for me to get hurt?"

"That's not what I meant", she says, giving you a firm look that you said nothing, even if you frown a little. "The way you're chased by seven boys, and what they want to do with you -"

"I don't want to hear about it", you insisted as you duck your head to avoid her gaze. "Also, that's what experiences are for - you're supposed to try new things even if it means making mistakes. If you stop overthinking everything, mom, maybe you'll see how nice that is"