Welcome Back

Oswald and Trixie roll around in their luxurious double bed, wrestling with each other while he begins removing her dress. Slipping it past her legs, he throws it on the ground and jumps on top of her.

"Daddy!" two childish voices cry.

Oswald whips around to see two children, a boy and a girl, whose skin is a combination of Oswald's beyond pale complexion, and Trixie's darker hue.

Trixie scuttles under the bed, "Children, Daddy's a bit busy right now," she tells them, the sheets covering her semi-naked body.

Bounding out of bed, Oswald approaches the two young children, “...Ophelia...Tonio…”

“Daddy!” they repeat, scampering into his arms.

“Not one, but two little youngsters! Oh, my love aren’t they wonderful?” Oswald asks, turning to Trixie.

She chuckles, slipping back into her dress, “Yes dear, they’re absolutely wonderful. Now, run along children, your piano lessons start soon.”

Reluctantly leaving his arms, Oswald watches as his two children scurry out the door. He’d never thought he could ever have children. They’re too much of a liability, too easily manipulated. But in this land of possibilities, he could have anything his heart desired. Even to be a father, a better father than his ever was.

“So...we’re married and we have kids?” Trixie asks, her voice darker and sharper than the loving tone she’d just been using. She also sounds out of breath, wheezing in between words, “You’re more messed up than I thought.”

Oswald turns around to find two Trixies standing before him, one still sitting on the bed, and the other standing across from her, in her police uniform, hands on her hips.

“How’d you even know your kids names? They’re not real,” the second Trixie questions.

Oswald chuckles, “The idea of children has always had a strange allure to me. But, with my...career choice, I realize that they’re more impractical than anything. Still, if I ever had children, those would be the names I’d pick.”

She glances around, “...you do realize you’re in a dream, right?”

“I’m aware. And I can see why you found it so appealing.”

The first Trixie rolls around in the bed, “Ozzy, are you coming back here? Or are you going to make me play all by myself?”

“You’re disgusting,” the second Trixie spits.

Oswald freezes in place, his shoulders stiff and his cheeks flushed red, “...I’m saying this all aloud...aren’t I?”

“Yes, and I’m hearing every painful word, so I suggest that you wake up as soon as possible, preferably now,” she commands.

Oswald turns to the first Trixie, dream Trixie, as she waits for him on the bed. Perfection in every way, and yet, there isn’t very much that differentiates her from the real Trixie. Just a slight change of clothing, and a change in her personality, both of which could be achieved in the real world. In contrast, her dream interpretation of him is worlds away from what he is in real life, almost as if he were a different person. And he wasn’t even her love interest, she imagined him as being with that hack comedian, while she flounced around with this mysterious “Ed”.

“If you want me to leave, you have to promise me something.” Oswald begins, “Make this dream a reality, with me. Together, we could become the most powerful couple in Gotham! I know this, I’ve seen it...I can see it now.”

Trixie pauses, placing her index finger on her lips. She needs to get him out of his dream, the police will be here any moment, and if James Gordon gets proof that she’s in cahoots with Oswald, there would be a lot of consequences for her. Even though it’s very clear she doesn’t want to make this promise, Oswald’s made it so that she doesn’t have a choice.