Breakout

With my shift having just ended, I stand by Ed's workshop as he fiddles with a remote control.

"She's nearly finished, you have no idea what this will mean to science if I succeed," his enthusiasm is overwhelming as he rapidly presses the buttons on the remote.

I glance up at the transdimensional portal in the middle of Ed's workshop. It's a mishmash of electrical and mechanical parts compiled to make a circular object with a person-sized hole in the middle. Wires and cords stretch out and extend to take up all of the plugs in the room, as well as half of the floor space. There's a small control panel attached to the outer side of the portal, as well as the remote control held by Ed.

After fiddling with the remote, Ed sets it down on a nearby table and picks up a magazine to show to me.

"I submitted an article on my theories of transdimensional travel to Popular Science magazine, and they featured it!" he informs me, flipping open the magazine.

I lean in to look at the article, which features both pictures of Ed as well as a picture of his transdimensional portal, "This is great, Ed."

"Yes, and once I get this thing working I'll be the toast of the scientific community. First: a published article in Popular Science, next: the Nobel Prize for physics!" he laughs, pulling me into a tight hug.

This is such a step forward for Ed, he's finally getting the recognition he deserves. Although, I have to admit, it makes me consider my own future. I don't exactly have any future plans, and the gig with Amanda isn't bound to last forever. I wouldn't mind staying a police officer in Gotham, it is my home. But, with everything going on...maybe it'd be best in the end to get away.

Ed and I pull out of the hug as he looks down to read off of his article, "I'm really proud of some of the lines in here. For example: 'It is safe to assume that if alternative universes do exist, then the only habitable ones would be those similar to our own in terms of the laws of physics. But if these universes exist, and are similar to our own in terms of physics, then it's possible that these universes could be similar in other aspects'."

"Similar? How so?" I ask, putting my hands into my pockets and leaning in closer.

He chuckles, before reading on, "Patience, I'm getting there. 'Universes similar in terms of physics need not be identical, but if these universes run on a similar if not parallel timeline, then their historical progression could not just be similar, but possibly identical. In layman's terms: if you go to a parallel universe, it is possible to find a place parallel to your hometown, and even meet your parallel self.'. Pretty interesting, don't you think?"

"Yeah, but this is all theory. The likeliness of a parallel universe so similar that one could meet their parallel self seems unlikely. Same name, same job, same appearance? So many things would have to be the same for that to be possible," I argue.

"You're right, that's why I didn't say identical, I said similar. Certain elements of the person could be similar, but not everything has to be identical," Ed clarifies.

I turn a page on the magazine, "All that said, it's impossible to prove if any of this is even possible. It's not like anyone's actually visited an alternate universe."

He smirks, and runs his hand through my hair, "True...not yet."

    "Thank you for helping me sneak out," Barbara gasps, as she hops over the hotel window and onto the very fire escape I'd used to take a picture of her and Renee just this morning. From her hotel room door, the quiet murmur of the paparazzi can be heard coming from the other side. Renee and I are both dressed in black sweatshirts, the hoods up as to conceal our identities.