What the Little Bird Told Him

As soon as I get home, my phone rings on the nearby table. I sigh, collapsing onto the couch in exhaustion. I'm ready to let the answering service pick it up when I drag my hand to lift the receiver.

"Hello?" I groan.

"Sydney, you and Ann are needed now. Don Falcone's ordering a shootout at Fish Mooney's," Zsasz's sharp tone comes through the phone.

I curl up into a ball on the couch, "To be honest boss, I'm really not feeling well toni-"

"You two better get here, now! I just got some new recruits and they need to learn alongside some experienced henchwomen," he pleads.

I groan, "Fine, but you owe me."

I hang up the phone just as I realize something. Fish Mooney's? That must be where Fish is keeping Liza. Don Falcone must be sending Zsasz there to...rescue her? Hopefully, for her sake.

With my Sydney disguise on, I march to the door in leather-heeled boots. Just as I open the door, a pale, thick hand pushes in the same direction. I look up to find Oswald, his hair matted and undone, a light layer of sweat on his brow.

"Trixie! ...darling...huff...huff...where are heading to this fine evening?" He pants in between breaths.

I swing open the door, putting my hand on my hip, "Fish Mooney's. You?"

He smiles, "Yes, Fish Mooney's as well. Wh-what a surprise."

With both hands he grabs my arm, pulling me out of the apartment, "And what business do you have at Fish Mooney's? In your disguise no less?"

"Zsasz ordered me there. Apparently Falcone's planning a shootout there," I explain as I follow him down the stairs.

He gives a malicious chuckle, "Perfect."

Once we reach the lobby floor, Oswald whips me around to face him. With a graceful hand, he removes my face-altering mask, my facial features returning to normal.

"Hey, give that bac-"

I'm interrupted as he kisses me on the lips, wrapping his arms around me. We hold each other in a tight embrace, and he smiles, looking down at me.

"No masks around me," his grin becomes malicious as his hands squeeze around my waist.

I giggle, "Of course."

I arrive at the side alley that connects to Fish Mooney's. Ann is already there, handgun raised, standing next to the two new recruits Zsasz had mentioned.

"Does anyone here know what this is about?" I ask, my heels stomping against the low puddles on the alleyway concrete.

Ann peers into the window of the alleyway door, "Apparently Mooney's got Don Falcone's housekeeper. Keeping her hostage in exchange for Falcone's empire."

I cross my arms and chuckle, "Hmph, fat chance that's happening."

"Yeah, but she must mean something if Falcone's ordered Zsasz on the case. Word has it Falcone's coming too to negotiate something," one of the new recruit mentions.

A sleek, black car pulls up on the street in front of the alleyway. Zsasz, Falcone, and Oswald exit the car.

"Stay close. We may need you," Falcone tells Gabe, the driver.

Gabe slowly rolls away as Falcone and Oswald make for the entrance. Zsasz jogs down the alleyway to join me, Ann, and the new recruits.

Zsasz takes out his sleek handgun with an extended barrel and loads it, "On my signal, ladies."