Something Fishy

I walk into work as if it were any other day, the warmth of Oswald's hands still lingering on my shoulders. Fish sits at her usual table while her boys set up the chairs. Jack stands in front of her as she sips a tall glass of wine.

“So, you’ll be able to do Monday and Wednesday nights, correct?” she asks him, looking up from her seat.

“Yes Ms. Mooney...anything for you,” he replies.

She turns around as my heels make noise across the hardwood floor, “Ah, Trixie, good evening,” she gets up and places her arm around him, “Jack’s been such a success for the club that I’m having him work an extra night.”

“That’s wonderful,” I smile vaguely.

“Say, do either of you know a strapping young man in need of work?" she asks suggestively, but her smile quickly turns into a frown as she continues, "I've been looking for a replacement for Oswald, but so far I haven't had any luck."

"I know someone, a friend of mine, actually," Jack raises his hand, "his name's Timothy, we're in the boy's choir together."

Fish smirks, "Bring him in tomorrow night. And I didn't know you could sing, Jack."

"Well, comedy's more my thing, but I can sing too,” he explains.

“Oh really? Well, maybe one of these days you could come up onstage and sing with the girls,” she suggests, smiling.

I continue to the employee  hallway where Morgan is leaning against the wall, smoking a cigarette.

“How are you holding up?” I ask him.

He stares up at the ceiling, “Been better. Amanda finally accepted my request for a transfer.”

“Transfer? To where?”

“Falcone’s casino downtown. Not exactly sure what my assignment is yet, but whatever it is it’s got to be better than here.”

I raise an eyebrow, “Why transfer? I got rid of Oswald, you don’t have to worry about him anymore.”

“But there’s still that num-nut Butch,” he points out, “and there’s bound to be more like him coming around the bend. Besides, my job here is done, you have your list of candidates I got from Mooney’s office, you track them down.”

I slowly begin to nod, “Alright.”

I sneer as I walk into the dressing room. Guess this means I’m on my own now. Oh well, he wasn't of much use to begin with anyway.

   For the final show of the night I'm dressed in a pink one-piece that barely covers anything, snaking around my necessities and completed with neon pink thigh high boots and matching wrist braces.The tag reads: “Star Sapphires of Love”. Must be a fetish thing.

I walk out to the backstage area where the other girls wait for their cue. I spot Ann, and I smile, and she nudges my shoulder to whisper.

“Word’s been going around that Mooney’s hiring a new girl.”

“Really? The small stage can barely hold us as it is.”

“No, not a dancer,” she clarifies, “she’s been asking the girls to sing first, and then she asks them to seduce her. She must be looking for someone for a special act.”

I raise an eyebrow, “What kind of girl is she looking for? And why couldn’t she just use one of us?”

Ann leans in closer as to be discreet, “From what I’ve seen, the girls she’s been seeing...are young.”

I swallow, I knew Fish was dirty, but I had no idea she consented to using young girls. True, several years ago, I would’ve been considered a “young girl” myself, and I might’ve been desperate enough to sign up as a singer at a local bar, with maybe some sexual favors on the side. Luckily, I had Ed to keep me firmly planted on the ground, most other girls, not as lucky.

We all step out to the stage as the music begins. We start by kicking our legs in a single file line. Standing toward the end of the line, I can safely let my eyes wander to Fish's table. A bruised Lazlo in an arm cast walks over and pours a glass of wine for Fish. What happened to him? Granted I didn’t know Lazlo very well but he doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who gets into fights. Must be work related.

The dance ends and the girls and I walk backstage as the waiters close the restaurant for the night. As soon as we’re backstage, an eager blond young girl in a tight red dress hobbles up to me in a pair of chunky heels.

“Hi, uhm, do you know where I can find the auditions? Am...am I too early?”

I turn around, and she seems shocked by my bare-all outfit. She must be new.

“Well, the boys are still clearing up the stage, so you might have to wait a few minutes.”

“Great,” the girl smiles in place, and as I’m about to turn around, she jolts out her hand, “Nora.”

With an awkward smile, I politely shake her hand.

“Have you been a dancer here long?” she asks me.

I shrug, “I’ve been here a while, but I’m still the newest member.”

She nods, “I’m studying to be a ballerina, but for now I just need the cash.”

I smile knowingly. I remember those days.

Fish walks out from the hallway door, "Are any of the new girls here?"

Nora raises her hand, "Here!"

Fish gives her the up-down , one hand on her hip, “Good...I’ll see you now. Come dear.”

They leave for the restaurant area while we continue to change. I change as fast as I can and am the first one to leave the dressing room. I want to get home as fast as I can. God knows, Oswald could be there right now, I’ve already counted at least two of my dresses missing-

“Hey,” a girl with dark hair and heavy eyeliner stops me.

She has a low, sultry stare, and while somewhat younger, is a lot taller than me.

"I'm looking for the...auditions," she states, shifting from one knee to the other and looking toward the ground.

"Oh, well, Ms. Mooney is currently seeing another girl, but I'm sure she'll take you right after," I tell her.

"...cool," she mumbles, her lashes fluttering unintentionally.

She sits down in my makeup chair, admiring herself in the mirror, "How many shows do you guys do a night?"

I raise an eyebrow, but quickly smile. She clearly knows more about the business than the first girl, even if she does have a bit of an attitude. From the way she composes herself, to how she helped herself to my dressing table, there's no doubt. This kid is from is from the streets, possibly someone I'd see at the Flea when I was young.

"Depends on what's going on that night. Anywhere from seven to nine numbers, two to four minutes, one per hour."

She smirks, "You guys ever strip?"

I chuckle, picking up on her strange sense of humor, "Only if the customers tip well."

We both laugh quietly before the girl speaks up, "You're alright, what's your name?"

"Trixie, what about you?"

"Liza."

Mooney walks back with Nora, "We'll be in touch dear," she spots Liza, "you, you're next. Come along, I haven't got all day."

Liza gets up from my chair and waves, "See you around."