Back to Square One

"Well, I have to say Patrick, I'm impressed," Renee confesses, as the team returns to the hotel room.

Eel/Patrick, with his suit still on, walks on all fours, his arms and legs extending forward to reach the next step, "Gosh, thanks. Never saw myself as the 'save and rescue' type."

"We couldn't have done it without you," I tell Eel/Patrick, closing the door behind me.

Renee and Barbara both cross their arms, and turn to me. Looking into their expressions, I realize what they want.

"Uhm...Ee-I mean, Patrick, could you wait outside for a little bit?" I ask.

He nods, "Ah, I see, girl talk, got it," he opens the door and marches outside, "take your time!"

Once the door closes, Renee sighs, "Patrick seems like a sweet guy, and I understand why you'd want to protect him."

"Thanks, Renee. I know it was wrong to have hidden him from you-"

She cuts me off, "But that's not all. There's still the matter of Cobblepot finding our address. That's on you too."

I clasp my hands onto my face, "I know, I know. But is it really my fault if some psycho-"

"Natalie, you purposely put yourself in harm's way by associating with him," Barbara counters.

Renee takes Barbara's hand, "What we're asking is that you leave, Natalie."

I clench both of my fists, squeezing them until they become red, "I see...okay....y-yes, I understand."

"This doesn't mean we'll stop working with you. Just that you live somewhere else," Barbara clarifies, "look, don't take this too hard. It's nothing personal."

I nod, and without a word, I grab my bag from the bedroom, and exit the hotel room.

Eel/Patrick follows me down the hotel stairs, "Wha-what happened? Did they kick you out of the group?"

I shake my head, "No, just out of the hotel room we'd been living in."

"Why? Did you snore?" he asks, trying to stay whimsical.

"It's complicated. It was my fault and I should have seen it coming."

After a few confused glares from the staff, we exit the hotel.

"So, where are you off to?" I ask Eel/Patrick.

He stretches his arms out, "I think I'll skip town for a little, try to get ahold of my powers. Then I'll come back, and...you know what? I'm gonna give the superhero thing a try."

I chuckle, "Well, if you're going to be a superhero, you're going to need a superhero name."

Eel/Patrick scratches his chin, "Hmph...a superhero name...I know!"

He flexes both arms, and they expand like balloons, "Mr. Fantastic! ...no, I think that's taken."

I burst into laughter, "What kind of superhero names himself 'Mr. Fantastic'?"

"Hey, it's a family name. Anyway, I think I've got it now. I will henceforth, and forever be known as: Plastic Man!" Eel/Patrick confirms, crossing his arms and standing with triumph.

I smile, "Plastic Man wouldn't have been my first choice, but whatever works for you."

Eel/Patrick reaches down with a stretched arm and ruffles my hair, "Awe, good ol' Trix. Well, I'll be off. See you soon!"

I wave as he starts walking in the middle of the street, and leaving his old identity behind, Patrick walks into the sunset.

I smile as I watch him go. Just as Eel's disappeared over the horizon, a sleek, black car drives up toward me. Hoisting up the bag on my shoulder, I start to run for the nearest alleyway. The back window of the car rolls open, as Oswald peeks his head out.