Belly of the Beast

I'm in my bedroom, stashing everything I need to tonight either in my pockets or strapped somewhere to my belt. It's become quite hard to take all of my equipment with me, either I only take the minimum and risk needing something during the outing, or I pack so much it makes me look like I've put on twenty pounds at the hips.

There's a knock at my door. I shove the rest of my equipment under the bed, and close the door as I answer the front door.

"Nat...I was just checking up on your recovery process," Ed stands just outside with staunch vigilance, both hands behind his back.

I smile, "I'm doing great Ed, thanks for checking in on me."

Ed's shoulders jump, "Of course. You'd do the same for me."

I open the door for him as he shuffles in. Hopefully he isn't here too long, I need to go out and meet Barbara and Renee. It takes a while for me to get into that Trickstress costume.

"Well, I have plans for tonight, so I don't have much time to spare-"

Ed shakes his head, "Oh Nat, always busy, busy, busy. A date, perhaps?"

"No, just some work-related stuff. Pretty boring," I tell him.

"'Work-related stuff'? Sounds pretty vague to me," he raises an eyebrow, "am I allowed to accompany you on this 'work-related stuff'?"

I shake my head, "Sorry Ed, but no."

He tilts his head down, and gives me a puppy-like frown. I glare back, crossing my arms, "Ed..."

"...alright. If you insist on working...alone. I will oblige you."

He backs up against the opposite hallway wall, before lifting up his feet like a stiff toy soldier and marching back down the hall.

I sigh, before closing the door. It's best if Ed stays out of this, even if he wants to help he's not cut out for combat. And if he were ever hurt...I don't know what I'd do.

It's nighttime at the Falcone mansion when the Trickstress leaps onto the roof, her feet perched on the top. She scampers across under the cover of darkness, until she meets Batwoman and Renee, also perched on the roof, Renee having some slight trouble keeping balance in her low heels. The Trickstress hands Renee the mask, and when Renee puts it on, her face becomes featureless, effectively concealing her identity.

"If anyone wants to back out last minute, Crispus' waiting in the car in case we need backup. One of us could always...keep him company," Batwoman jokes, nudging the Trickstress in the arm.

The Trickstress gives Batwoman a mischievous glare, before continuing on with business, "You said the entrance is through the fireplace, correct?"

Batwoman sighs, before nodding, "Yep. You saw the Talon go down the chute. The entrance has to be there."

The three scale up to the rooftop chimney, and they peer down into its dark entrance.

"So...who's going in first?" Renee asks, glancing over to the other two.

Batwoman raises her hand, "I'll do it. Out of everyone here, this is my fight."

She perches on top of chimney, her black boots balancing her on top. After a deep breath, she dives in headfirst, her cape the last thing to be swallowed by the chimney shoot. As she reaches the bottom, she sees only a soot-filled fireplace, and an unlit pile of logs. Is this not the entrance? But just as her fingers touch the bottom, the concrete bottom gives way, opening a trapdoor leading even further down into a narrow, cavernous tunnel.

The tunnel leads into large, hollow cave, with stone doorways carved into various levels, and narrow cobblestone pathways built into the walls connecting them.

Batwoman looks up just as Renee comes falling down. She catches her in her arms, Renee's blue fedora flopping to the side of her head.

But just as Batwoman puts Renee down, the Trickstress comes crashing down. With no one to catch her, she falls flat on her face.

"Oh, I see how it is lovebirds," she grumbles, getting up and dusting the soot off of her bottom.

"Well...I guess we should start looking," Renee suggests, as she, Batwoman, and the Trickstress glance around.

"Where are we even suppose to start?" the Trickstress asks.

Batwoman swivels around, "Well, there's only one entrance on ground level. Renee doesn't have a grappling gun, so we should start on the ground. There's gotta be alternate ways up to the higher levels."

The other two nod, before

The three women start walking down the nearest cobblestone passageway. The tunnels are brightly lit with light blue lamps, strung up around the cave, eliminating the need for flashlights. The caves are completely deserted, lacking any sort of items or debris.

"Ah...it's good to be back in the suit," Batwoman revels, playing with her black and red cape.

The Trickstress chuckles, "Yeah, we haven't dressed up since Barbara Kean joined the Court of Owls."

"Well, we couldn't until now. Wouldn't want the Court thinking we've gone against them just yet," she reasons.

"Honestly, I think you two look ridiculous in those costumes. I get that they're optimized to hold all of your gadgets but...newsflash: Halloween is over," Renee jokes, her cheeks rising while her lips remain invisible.

"Says the girl with no facial features," the Trickstress counters.

Laughing, Renee's cheeks go back to a more neutral state, "...you ever feel sorry for Crispus?"

The Trickstress raises an eyebrow, "Why?"

"He's not only the token male of our group, he's the only straight one as well. Plus, he doesn't even have a costume."

"Oh, and you do?" Batwoman smirks, "I didn't think a mask counts as a complete costume."

"Hey, I've been wearing the same trenchcoat and fedora everytime I wear the mask! It counts!" Renee defends, before the three start giggling.

The passageway ends, and opens up into a dark cave, unlit by the light blue lamps. Renee gets out her flashlight, but before she can turn it on, several bright, harsh lights click on, blinding the three women.

Batwoman blinks several times, before she starts making out the scene in front of her. Wooden benches scale upwards in coliseum staging, the wooden benches resembling those of a courtroom. In the benches sit countless men, women, and children, all dressed in lavish suits and dresses. Concealing their faces are identical white owl masks with lifeless eyes. Their attention is completely on the three, seemingly waiting in anticipation.

One man in a suit and mask rises, and speaks in a familiar voice, "Ladies, welcome."