Danger Along the Docks

"Is there anywhere you can go?" I ask Otis, as I walk with him and Ed, the sun setting over the Gotham skyscrapers.

"I'll return to the sewers with Mr. Sniffles. The Flea never suited me anyway, too many people," he explains, petting Mr. Sniffles while holding him in his arm.

Ed tilts his head toward the child, "Sewers are dangerous and insufficient places of residence. Isn't there a shelter you could go to?"

Otis and I glance at each other, before bursting into laughter. Even Mr. Sniffles starts giving a series of high-pitched squeaks, waving his paws around hysterically.I reach up and playfully ruffle Ed's hair, "You couldn't get into a homeless shelter if you camped out in front all night!"

"There's a reason they call them Hobo Hotels, you can never get a room, and no one wants to leave!" Otis exclaims, Mr. Sniffles racing out of his arm and scurrying up onto his shoulder.

Ed frowns, "Well, that doesn't sound like a funny scenario."

"It's not, we just make it funny to cope," I shrug.

"I don't know, it's still pretty funny to me!" Otis laughs, still working off his laughter.

I smile, "I'm sure it is."

   I just finish clearing off my desk for the day when Ed shuffles toward me, his hands pressed together.

"Natalie, I would like to invite you to a...semiformal dinner this evening," he murmurs, attempting to be discreet as other nearby officers continue working.

Dinner? With Ed? But I have to intercept the fences' child trade tonight. But...dinner with Ed...

"Oh, really? What's the occasion, did you win another award?" I ask playfully, nudging at his arm.

"Nope, I figured that since Major Crimes is handling the rest of our investigation, we should celebrate our contribution with...dinner."

I giggle, raising my eyebrow, "Semiformal dinner?"

"Nothing too fancy of course. You'd need reservations months in advance to get into a sumptuous place like The Lock-Up, but I feel like we both deserve some time together outside of work, and we have much to discuss! I've just recently made some breakthroughs on Ms. Kringle, and-"

"Ed, look, I'd love to, but I already have plans for tonight, okay? Maybe some other time," I interrupt, slinging a small purse over my shoulder and heading for the door.H

e follows me, peering over my shoulder, thinking that I don't notice him, "...a date with your mysterious man?"

"Ha! No...I'm spending an evening with a friend."

He perks up, "Me?"

I roll my eyes, "No Ed, she's a...friend from the CIA."

There's no way I could tell Ed that I'm going to see Barbara, Gordon's finance. Knowing him, that information will get back to Gordon sooner than later, and that would mean trouble for both Barbara and me.

"Oh! A female lover. You haven't had one of those in a long time. You are quite picky with women, aren't you Nat-"

"No, it's not a date, Ed. Is that all you can think about?"

He pauses for several seconds, twirling a pen in his hand, "Natalie, dear friend, I am a young man in his twenties. That is all I think about, that and gnosticism. Can't forget about gnosticism."

"I don't think most people in their twenties would be thinking about such philosophical ideas," I counter.

"True, but we are definitely not most people, now are we, Natalie?" he kisses me on the forehead, "Well, perhaps we could reschedule for another time. Until tomorrow, friend."