Some Are Born Evil

Bamonte's is quiet when Oswald and I arrive. Oswald grips my hand tight, practically pulling me along. There's been a shift in power with Frankie dead, and now Gabe stands at Frankie's post. Don Maroni sits at the restaurant's largest table, nestled towards the back. Despite its size, no one sits at the table but him.

"Friends! Welcome," Maroni greets, as he wipes his mouth with the napkin tucked into his shirt.

Getting out of his chair, Maroni meets Oswald in a warm embrace. Moving onto me, Maroni bows his head, taking my palm to kiss my hand.

"Such a beauty...Oswald is a lucky man," Maroni pats the top of my hand, and, unsure of how to react, I keep a polite smile.

As Don Maroni turns back around to the table, Oswald grins, tightening his grip on my hand, "Good Trixie...keep it up."

Refusing to make eye-contact, I push forward to the large table reserved for us. There, Maroni is tucking in a napkin over his jacket collar.

"I'm afraid it'll just be the four of us tonight," Maroni explains, gesturing to Gabe, "most of my men are out on business tonight. I hope you understand."

"Things are going well, I would hope," I inquire, seating myself down before Oswald can offer a chair.

Gritting his teeth, Oswald shoots me a dagger-eyed glare, "Trixie, you shouldn't speak out of turn-"

"No...no, I like a lady who can talk business," Maroni interrupts as Oswald and Gabe take a seat, "a woman should be able to understand her man's line of work, no?"

Turning into a bumbling yes-man, Oswald smiles, "Yes, yes...of course."

Just as the servers finish pouring wine into our glasses, Oswald's cell phone goes off. I can't help but glance down as he takes it out. Don Falcone.

"Please...please excuse me...my mother..." Oswald struggles to stand with his bad leg, before beginning to hobble away from the table.

"No, no, please. Take all the time you need," Maroni shoos him off, as Oswald ducks out of the restaurant.

The table is silent for several seconds, before Don Maroni picks up his knife and fork, scraping them against one another, "So...Trixie, how are you and Oswald? Everything's all well in the relationship I would assume?"

I nod, my false smile stretching to its limit, "Yes, everything's fine, all fine."

"You sure? Are you certain? Oswald's a small guy, but...when he's upset, the boy can get a little feisty," Maroni glances me over with a glare of suspicion. Is he onto me?

"I...I can handle myself," I murmur, lowering my head.

Raising an eyebrow, Don Maroni picks up his glass of wine, taking a sip before responding, "I see...I see...his mother, Oswald's mother, have you ever...actually met her? What's she like?"

I restrain the urge to groan or roll my eyes, "Yes, yes, we've met. He introduced me to her not long after we met-"

"And what is she like?"

I swallow, unsure of how to reply, "She's...she's a lovely woman. Older in years, but, wonderful nonetheless-"

Leaning back in his chair, Maroni presses his fingertips against each other, "Is she really sick, Trixie? Is Oswald's mother really ill? Or is he just pulling my leg?"

Gritting my teeth, I frown, "No...Oswald's mother isn't sick..."

Both Don Maroni and Gabe sit up straight, Gabe dropping both his knife and fork, causing them to clatter onto the plate.