Penguin's Umbrella

I wake up early, the morning sky a dull grey with only a hint of blue somewhere in the mix. Getting dressed in the living room, I make my way to the door. I hesitate just as I reach for the doorknob. Looking behind me, I see the door to Oswald’s room. I cross the room and carefully crack open the door to his room. I see Oswald asleep on one side of his double bed. I sigh, he’d be worried if I left without telling him, but if I wake him up, he’ll probably follow me, and I don’t want that either. I slowly close the door and walk out into the living room. Now’s my chance, I can bail out of here for good, get out while I can, and continue my mission as if nothing had happened. I grasp the front door, carefully opening it, and step through, closing it behind me.

   The teller at the bank points me toward a pay phone station on 4th and Grundy. I keep a steady pace, glancing over my shoulder every once in a while. As my feet hit the pavement, a second set of footsteps just a little out of sync with mine joins me. Is someone following me? I stop momentarily and pretend to check my purse, and the second set of footsteps picks up its pace before stopping completely. Uhuh. I arrive at my destination, a section of payphones in the middle of a public courtyard. A large marble statue of Alan Wayne sits at the center, dozens of pigeons perched atop his imposing figure. I pick up the first phone and input the appropriate amount of quarters. The other line picks up after one two rings,

“Natalie, why haven’t you contacted me?!” Amanda’s demanding voice shouts through the phone.

“Believe me Amanda, it’s a long story. You really should’ve provided me with a cell phone.”

“Absolutely not. Too easy to trace, you know that. And besides, it’s Gotham, they still have pay phones. So Natalie, tell me, what have you been up to?”

I tell her everything, even about Oswald, it’s never a good idea to keep anything from Amanda.

“It’s good you got out while you could. This Oswald Cobblepot doesn’t show up anywhere on our records, so he’s definitely not the one you want to be starting with. As for the apartment, I suggest you return to the scene of the crime to investigate, something may be wrong. Now, for your mission I’ve arranged to have one of my contacts get you a job at one of Falcone’s nightclubs. You are to meet him this evening at Mooney’s Nightclub.”

Thank goodness, that’s much easier than trying to get in on my own, “That place down in the lower Theatre District? Will do Amanda.”

“Good. Remember, only the best of the best. And don’t be afraid to take your time, I want to be sure these candidates are the correct choices. Waller out.”

I hang up the phone. I look up as it starts raining. Great, I should’ve brought a raincoat, it’s always raining in Gotham. I’m about to turn around when a cold, sharp object sticks at my back, “Wallet and valuables, lady. You know the drill.” a gruff voice states just behind me.

I put my hands up, “Alright.” my response is no more than a whisper. I reach down for my purse, and whip around, knocking the knife out of his hand and throwing out one of my metal marbles. The moment it connects, it explodes in his face, the loud popping sound causing a ringing in my ear. I take this opportunity to make a run for it, racing out of the open plaza and into a nearby alley. Darting in, my feet pound against the puddles on the wet concrete. I climb the fence, using my heels to dig into the spots in between the wires. Clearing the fence, I make a sharp turn right into a smaller alley-

“Agh!” I crash Oswald, slamming against his chest and throwing me back several steps. I look up, and his mouth is a gap with surprise, “Trixie I…! Wha...what are you doing here?”

“I could be asking you the same thing.” I reply.

His eyes shift around, “This...this is where I buy my cannoli.”

I glance around suspiciously, “In a dark alleyway?”

He looks down and stifles, clutching an open umbrella in one hand, “You’re hurt.”

I look down at my left hand and see that I’m bleeding from a gash made when I pushed away the robber’s knife, “Oh, yeah...I’ll be alright. It’s just a scratch.”

He reaches into his suit jacket and takes out a white handkerchief, “Here, wrap it with this.”

“Thanks…” I mumble, tentatively taking it and binding my wound in it.

He moves his umbrella slightly forward so that it covers me, “You’ll catch cold if you’re not careful.”

I smile, “Thanks, but I think I’ll be alright.”

“Why didn’t you tell me you were leaving?” he asks, as we start walking out of the alley.

“I, I didn’t want to wake you.” is my excuse.

He nods, although I don’t think he believes me, “And where are you off to now?”

“I just have to find that room.” well, there really is no getting rid of this guy, is there? Well, I guess if he insists on sticking around, I might as well make the most of it, “...wanna help?”

“Indeed, actually, I was speaking with the manager in my building-”

“Those men who barged into your home last night?”

He shakes his head, “No, those gentlemen are the landlords. They just collect the money. Anyway, he said that there’s a room available in the complex just a floor above where Mother and I live.”

I pause, grinning, “You’re suggesting I live there?”

“It’ll be great, trust me! It’s the same size as ours, but you’ll have it all to yourself, and the manager agreed to lower the price since you’re a friend.”

Well, that does sound good, while I’m not exactly hard up for cash...you never know when you’re gonna need some extra money. But...is it the greatest idea to live near Oswald and his mother?

“That’s...that’s very thoughtful of you. I...well, I could take a look at it.”

He smiles, “Well then, lets not waste any time then, shall we?”

We walk down Gotham City’s soggy streets as the rain lightens up just a little. Oswald scraps his open hand against my uninjured one, and tries to hold it. I push my hand away, but not before my fingers brush against his palm. He looks at me, his creased smile and narrowed eyes hinting at a sense of both understanding and frustration. My heart races, but I keep my hand away from him, he and I might be allies, friends even, but it could never go beyond that...not ever.