Winter Wonderland

Holding a cup of coffee in my hand, I follow Renee and Crispus down the street toward my apartment building.

"Alright, so you, Renee, and Barbara will meet up tonight. I'll stay behind in case you guys need backup," Crispus goes over with me and Renee.

"You sure you're feeling up for this now, Natalie? We can still wait a couple of days," Renee suggests.

I shake my head, "No...no, I'm ready. I don't want to be the one holding back our investigation."

Renee nods as I open the door to my apartment building, "See you tonight. Get some rest till then."

"Thanks, Renee," I smile, before heading inside.

I start climbing the many stairs to reach my apartment, but just as my head crests over the railing on my floor, I spot Oswald waiting outside. Godammit, I just wanted to rest for a measly second-

"Trixie...there you are," he turns to me, smiling.

He starts hobbling toward me, and I scale of last of the stairs. Oswald reaches out to put his hands on my shoulders, but I pull away. Insistent, he grabs my hand.

"One of my henchmen has gone missing, Eel. You've met him, correct?" he asks, pulling me toward him.

We become close enough so that our noses touch. Oswald closes his eyes and tightens his grip on my hand.

"...yeah, I think I remember him," I reply, not daring to allow him any closer.

"And...do you know anything about his...mysterious disappearance? Hmm?"

Shoot, he's onto me. I've gotta distract him for the situation, somehow. I sigh...I guess either way, he gets what he wants.

His breathing becomes loud and heavy, as I wrap my arms around him, "Now why would I know anything about that?"

Oswald's cheeks become flushed red, as I run my hand down his back, grazing over the fabric of his suit. Is he buying it? Maybe I need to sweeten the deal, just a little bit more.

"Oh Ozzy, you worry too much," I shake my head, before kissing him on the cheek.

It's been a little while since I've done that. I'd never admit it aloud, but I kind of liked it. I felt...a little pang in my chest, like...a small flutter.

Oswald stares at me, dumbfounded, his mouth slightly open. I try my absolute best to keep a smile, but his eyes start to shake in his sockets. His grip tightens even more, so much so that my hand turns red and puffy.

He pulls me into a tight embrace, "No...no, you're right. I'm worrying too much. I'm just happy you're back."

I'm...back? Does he mean, that I'm back in his arms?

"It's a wonderful day outside. How about we go to the park?" he suggests.

I don't know what else to do but quietly nod. Oswald smiles, "Great. I'll get my coat."

I hold his hand, helping him down the stairs. Even while navigating the stairs, Oswald is fixed on me with a wide, cheshire grin. It makes me uncertain as to whether he's actually glad to see me, or is plotting my bloody end.

He grabs his long black overcoat, as well as a bright red scarf, "It's getting cold out, almost time for the holidays."

"Yeah...I guess you're right," I realize. I've never been much of a holiday person, with the exception of exchanging Christmas gifts with Ed, I've never really celebrated them.

Opening the front door of the apartment, we're greeted by a strong chill in the still air. Snow collects in small pockets along the sidewalk, and the ground is ice cold. Oswald buttons up his coat as I cover myself up with mine.