Sweet Relief

Tonight's the night. Oswald looks in the mirror, straightening his best suit. His hair is slicked back, just the way his mother likes it. Now to invite the final guest.

He exits his room and heads for the door, "I'll be out for a little bit, Mother."

Mrs. Cobblepot steps away from the stove to protest, "Oswald, where are you going, on today of all days? Stay home, with your mother, we'll play board games like when you were young-"

"And we will," he promises, clasping her hands in his, "I just need to make some final preparations."

Oswald kisses his mother on the forehead, before turning away to leave. Heading down the stairs of the apartment, he spots a sleek black car parked in front of the building.

With the keys tucked in Oswald's coat pocket, he crosses to the car. Once he gets into the driver's seat, he picks up the car phone close to the gearshift.

Dialing a number, it takes a couple of rings before Gabe answers, "Yeah boss?"

"Is she in the apartment?" he asks, leaning back and splaying his arm behind the seat.

"Yeah, she went out earlier today, and got back about half an hour ago, so I doubt she'll be leaving anytime soon."

Oswald nods, "Good. And any sign of Talons?"

"No boss. One tried approaching the place last night, but me and the boys took him out with those fancy-shmancy silent snipers," Gabe reports.

"No Talons are to make it into that hotel, do you hear me? Not until I say so," he orders.

"Of course boss."

Oswald hangs up, as he starts up the car and drives into the street. Time to pick up Trixie.

Having slept on the couch, I wake up to find myself in an awkward splay across the couch. Stretching, I push myself up into a sitting position. Glancing out the window, I discover that it's already late afternoon, the sun on its way to sinking behind the skyscrapers. Ugh...this is all taking a toll on me.

I lean against the couch cushion, the apartment shrouded in an unusual quiet. Are Renee and Barbara out? I should check.

My body still waking up, I take my time curling my body until it stands. Walking over to the bedroom door, I carefully open the door. Barbara and Renee lie hidden under the bed covers, both naked, their clothes strewn about along with bottles of wine and pills.

I sigh, slumping my shoulders, "You guys?"

Approaching the bed, I flick Renee, who's closest to me. She doesn't move an inch, and I look over and discover throw-up spewn on the bed. Putting Renee on her side, I walk around the queen-sized bed to do the same to Barbara.

Just then, there's a knock on the door. Who could that be?

Now more alert, I hurry to the door, but not before grabbing my knife hidden under the couch.

"Who's there?" I call out, staying away from the door.

A familiar voice responds, and my heart sinks, "No stranger."

Sticking my knife at the hilt of my pants, and covering it with my shirt, I clutch my hand onto the doorknob, the other hand still holding the knife.

I start slow, but as soon as the door's cracked open, a pale, grimy hand clasps itself along the edge. Biting my lip, I pull the door open the rest of the way.

"Will you admit me?" Oswald asks, his eyes fluttering with innocence.

I cross my arms, "That might not be a great idea."

He twists his lips, "Fine. Then get changed. Wear...something nice."

"And...where are we going?" I ask, afraid to turn my back on him.

"Why, my place, of course. Where else?"

My lip curls, as I glance downward, "...okay. Wait here."

I begin walking toward the bedroom door when Oswald speaks up, "Oh, and Trixie?"

I tentatively turn around, "...yes?"

"Leave the knife here. You...trust me, don't you?" he asks, stepping into the hotel room.

Turning to face him, I grab the handle of the dagger, "I-..."

Keeping his arms behind his back, Oswald paces ever so closer, "Put...the knife...down. Ha...why is this so difficult for you?"

Bumping up against the coffee table, I proceed to place the knife down on the table. He smiles, and holds out his arms, stretching out his long black coat and matching leather gloves, "Come here."

Like a person possessed, I walk toward him, my expression blank, my eyes wandering as my body remains straight in its direction.

I wrap my arms around him, and rest my head against his chest.

"You weren't suppose to come inside," I tell him.

He smiles, leaning his head into mine, "I know. I came in on my own accord."

We stand silent in the middle of the hotel room, holding each other as the sunset becomes more intense.

"Did...did you miss me?" Oswald asks, his voice a quiet whimper.

I chuckle, "Oswald, we didn't see each other for less than a week. I don't think that's enough time to-"

"I asked if you missed me," he repeats, pulling me closer.

I run my finger down the lapel of his suit, sticking out at the unbuttoned section of his coat, "Honestly...I did miss you. Although...it doesn't help I've been under a lot of pressure lately."

He snickers, and kisses her on the forehead, "Well, don't worry your little head. All is well tonight."

I look up at him, my eyes wide with uncertainty. There's something comforting about his words, his soothing tone. Perhaps it's fatigue, or something greater fueling my lack of better judgement, but...I did miss him, and I'm glad he's here now.

"Thank you, Oswald," I smile, clutching the fabric of his coat.

He leans down, and after a moment of brief hesitation, we kiss. Oswald squeezes my hips, before wrapping his arms around my backside.

Author's Note: While this isn't a permanent return, these next few chapters hold significance to a certain holiday, and I thought it best that they should be released around that frame time. Guess what it is ;)