Calling On Cobblepot

“State your name for the record,” the government worker instructs.

“Trixie Tamaya,” I respond coldly. If there’s one thing I’ve learned while working for the CIA, it’s that the government is too disorganized in their keeping of civilian records to prove if a name is false or not. Besides, it’s not me they’re after, it’s Fish.

“...Trixie, is that a nickname? I need your official name.” the interviewer asks.

He interviews me at one of the many tables in the restaurant area. There’s folders set up on the sides of the table to obscure my view as other government workers interview the others.

I shake my head, “Nope. That’s my name.”

“Okay...Ms. Tamaya, have you at any point in your life, associated with a Communist organization?”

I try my best to not roll my eyes, I know if I anger this government worker, he’s just going to drill me longer.

“No, I have not.”

The interviewer reaches into a folder by his side and pulls out a large picture, “Ms. Tamaya, does this image look familiar to you?”

Now this is getting interesting. He hands the photo to me, and upon closer examination, I see it is a slightly blurry image taken from an alleyway of a figure in a mostly black suit, but with a bright red cape and details. This must be the mysterious vigilante I’d heard about on the radio. The figure is seen jumping in mid-air from one rooftop to the next, his cape trailing behind him.

“No, but I’ve heard people talking about this guy. He’s the guy who’s fighting the mob, right?” I ask, putting the picture down.

“Yes, where have you heard of her?”

Her? Thank you for that information.

I shrug, leaning back in my chair, “Just on the radio.”

“And that is the only place where you’ve heard anything about this person? The radio?” the interviewer clarifies.

“Yes.”

“Thank you Ms. Tamaya, that will be all,” the government worker puts the picture back into his folder and waves me off.

I get out of my seat and begin walking out of the restaurant. My interview ends around the same time as everyone else, and we all clump as a group as we leave.

“Oh, Liza, Nora!” Fish calls out to them as the government workers begin packing up, “How about I give you two both a ride home? There’s some...business affairs I need to discuss with you two. About the job opportunity.”

The two girls turn around and follow her out the back door. Ann leans over to me to whisper, “You gotta wonder what sort of ‘job opportunity’ Ms. Mooney has in mind for those girls. Awfully young, aren’t they?”

“Well, whatever it is, there’s clearly only one open position if she’s taking them on a ‘car ride’,” I whisper back.

“My money’s on Nora. She’s the better singer of the two,” Ann bets.

I shake my head, “No. I have a feeling there won’t be any singing involved, she’s probably going to make them fight it out. In that case, my bet’s on Liza. Nora seems too nice for that sort of thing.”

Ann chuckles, “You never know. It always seems like the nicest ones turn the nastiest when under pressure. You should know.”

I lightly slap her on the shoulder, “Hey!”

“Oh c’mon, everyone knows you rated on Oswald because he...you know, tried to impose himself on you.”

I grin, “Wow Ann, I’d never thought I’d hear you try to be discreet.”