The Icy Depths

Oswald hobbles into an old warehouse, carrying some apples his mother had given him. Sitting down at a nearby table, he glances around at the chains, bats, small knives, and even a water torture device set up for his guest. Maybe one day he should take Trixie here, that would be...quite fun.

She might even agree to it, she has become somewhat more...compliant as of late, if their lovemaking last night isn't already proof of that. Maybe this is a sign of hope, maybe he doesn't have to kill her, maybe she'll fall into his arms, perfectly loving for as long as they both shall live...but no. That would never happen. He takes out his knife, flipping up the blade. Many times he's fantasized stabbing Trixie in the stomach. Her blood spilling onto his hands, leaving him to lick it off of his fingers like a sweet snack. Many she would writhe in pain, falling to her knees to kiss his feet in her last dying moments. Or maybe she'll go into shock, staring blank-faced in horror, in betrayal. Either way, he'll savor the moment, and it must be a special moment. Suddenly, there's a banging at the door as Eel and another one of Oswald's lackeys drag in a man in a black and blue suit.

"Oh, is that Timothy?" Oswald asks playfully, sticking his knife into one of the apples and maneuvering out of his seat.

His henchmen file Timothy in front of Oswald. He smiles, looking at the beaten man on his knees, holding up his bandaged hand, "We met at Fish Mooney's, hmm? I'm the fellow who used to have your job...I was hoping to ask you a few questions."

Timothy's eyes widen, he knows what's coming next, "I don't know anyth-""

Shh," he silences, placing a long finger in front of him, "there'll be time for that. First things first."

Oswald gives a slight nod to Eel, who along with the other thug, drag Timothy to the chains. Eel grabs one of the bats while the other henchman clasps him to the chains. Swinging the bat one time for good measure, Eel doesn't wait for the other thug to finishing chaining Timothy before he makes his first swing, hitting him right in the stomach. He makes another shorter swing, curling the hit up to smack his chin and face. Oswald watches from his table, sitting down and cutting a slice of the apple with his knife. He eats the slice whole, swishing it around in his mouth as he watches the show.

"So what exactly are you working on again?" I ask Ed as I carefully descend the narrow steps leading into his workshop.

"Utilizing the properties of theoretical physics and spacetime, I am constructing what I can only describe as a portal into the various other dimensions prophesied by the multiple universe theory," Ed explains, fiddling with a set of metal gears.

"And how exactly are you going to get the materials necessary for building something straight out of an H.G. Wells novel?"

He holds up a mail order form, "I've been saving up to order some high-tech accelerators from Lexcorps, that place will get you anything."

"And how close are you to getting enough?" I question, peeking from behind his shoulder.

"Well, the money I earned from the Whippleburn Prize helped immensely, but I'm still a ways off from my goal," Ed turns around, keeping his hands behind his back and arching his head just a little too close to mine, "would you like to contribute to my fund? Anything would help."

I chuckle, reaching into the pocket of my police uniform, "I think I have some spare change in here somewhere."

Digging out what little cash I have in my pockets, I hand it to Ed, "There you go, it's not much, but it's all I have on me right now."

Ed smiles, taking the change and inserting it into his pocket, "Thank you so much Natalie. I will not forget this kindness."

"Let me guess...I'm the first one who's willing contributed to your campaign, aren't I?" I predict, smirking.

"...yes, but once my machine is built, they'll all regret not making an investment! And of course, you'll be a part of the picture when I become famous!" he squeals with excitement.

"Oh! I should tell Ms. Kringle about this, she'd be thrilled!"

Before I can protest, Ed scurries off to first her, his long legs shuffling close together. I sigh, she probably won't be as thrilled as he thinks she'll be. I could've said "I told you so", but he didn't even give me time to do that. Poor Ed, will he ever learn?

After Eel gives the final blow, Oswald stands and waddles over to a bloodied Timothy.

"The thing is, when I had your job, had someone asked me, 'What is Ms. Mooney's secret?' I could've answered."

Oswald plays with the chain that has Timothy dangling from the ceiling, watching in fascination as he swings in a pendulum motion, "Ooh..."

Timothy remains quiet, biting his lip as he holds in his sobs.

With a playful but eerie smile, Oswald bends his knees and gets down on his victim's level, "Timothy...I think you're holding back on me."

"Okay, I, I think I might have heard her talking with Butch," he confesses through his tears.

"Talking about what? Whom?"

He stutters, "Fal-Falcone. She said, 'Our friend with Falcone'. That's it, she was whispering, please!"

Oswald nods as this revelation is revealed to him, "She has someone close to Falcone...of course," he turns to Timothy, "thank you."

He turns away, his smile disappearing, "No one can find the body."

"No! NO Please!" Timothy begins screaming, jolting in his bound chains.

"We are at peace after all," Oswald murmurs, stammering away as Eel and his other henchman flip out their knives.

Sitting back into his chair, preparing for a show, Oswald cuts out another piece out of his apple and eats it, chewing the piece in his mouth as his henchmen are about to go to work on Timothy.

"Wa-Wait!" he cries, "I-If this is about me talking to your girl, I swear, I never touched her!"

From his chair, Oswald begins manically chuckling, "Oh...oh no, Timothy...you misunderstand...this has nothing to do with her. I mean...why would I waste valuable resources, and the time of these fine men, just to indulge in a personal qualm? Trixie, provides a valuable necessity but...like you...she is infinitely replaceable."

Gesturing to Eel, he and the other thug lunge for Timothy. Shadows flash over Oswald as Timothy's screams fill the room. Oswald continues eating his apple, forgoing the knife and simply biting into it whole. Trixie...was she really replaceable? Of course he'll say anything to hide his vulnerability but, did he mean it? No, no, of course she's replaceable. He could pay any number of people to give what Trixie providess, men or women, it doesn't really matter to him. But love...was that irreplaceable? Would anyone love him the way she did after he cuts her throat? Of course, after he ascends to power, he'll have people falling over him, women, men...all of them. But she loved him from the beginning, at one of his lower points of power...why? Did she see something in him? Did she know that one day he'd take control and made an early investment? Or...or did she really just...care? Without rhyme or reason, she took a liking to him and wanted to associate with him just...because? No, no, that's not possible! She's in this for her own ends, why else would she stay? Why else...why would she love him?