I'm Not Going Anywhere

I follow Oswald back to the apartment complex, the depressing grey interior not doing much to quell my nervous indecision. Oswald however, holds a confident smile, as he slowly begins speeding up his pace, in a rush to get to his destination.

We reach his floor, then go up one more flight to find a thin, pale man lying against the doorway. His eyes are bloodshot, and his hands are jittery. Is he on something?

“The room’s all yours. Just hand over this month’s rent.” he grumbles, holding out his hand.

“...may I see the room first?” I ask sharply, crossing my arms.

He pushes the door open to reveal a dimly lit room, with windows on the right side and a small kitchen in the corner, the same as Oswald’s apartment. Except this room is completely empty, save an old record player in the corner. Wow, does every apartment in this building come with one of those?

I step in, my low heels sounding off against the thin wooden floors. There’s still two bedrooms, and I have no idea what I’d do with the second one. Heh...what would I do with a second bedroom? I’ve never had to think about that before. Even when I lived in a consistent house, the issue was always not having enough space for things.

I open the door to the bedroom on the left, the one that mirrors Mrs. Cobblepot’s room. I look behind me momentarily to see Oswald reaching for one of the old records under the record player. I smile, he certainly loves his music. I look back at the room just as the song starts. There’s already a simple double bed in the center of the room, but nothing more. The floors have a light layer of dust coveting them, and the dark, decrepit wooden floors and walls match those in the hallway, but otherwise, there’s not that much to complain about. There’s another door to the left, and I push it open, revealing a master bathroom, with windows at the back and a large, cauldron-like tub in the center. A bathtub? Seems kind of decadent for an apartment, wouldn’t a shower save more water?

A hand places itself on my shoulder, “So...is it to your liking?” Oswald asks, as if it’s him trying to sell me the apartment.

“Yeah, it is.” I confess. It’s certainly better than some of the other places I’ve lived throughout my life.

“So then, why don’t we go outside and pay the nice man this month’s rent?” he coaxes.

I turn around, and he pulls his hand off of me, but still retains a bright smile. I tilt my head, narrowing my eyes, “You really want this, don’t you?”

He looks away for a brief second, “Well...what could be better than...than being neighbors with your best friend…” he jumps, realizing what  “I...I mean, your most trusted ally!”

I sigh, lightening my expression. As much as I need to keep this guy at bay, there are times when I feel really, really sorry for him, “You...you’re trying to please me, aren’t you?”

“I realize that my approach was too direct.” he explains, stepping out of the bedroom as I follow him into the living room, “And…” he chuckles with a twisted smile, “And I can’t win you with faulty methods, now can I?”

On the outside, I lean against the doorway, raising an eyebrow in utter disbelief at the irony in his statement, but on the inside, my heart skips a beat, and I feel an uncomfortable warmth in my chest, “What if I can’t be won?”

He abruptly rushes up to me, grabbing my hands into his, a look of desperation in his eyes,

“Doubt thou the stars are fire,

Doubt that the sun doth move,

Doubt truth to be a liar,

But never doubt that I...”

He stops there, but his lips still move, as if he can’t quite bring himself to say the final word. I blush, and smile, remembering that being from one of the last scenes of Hamlet Ozwald and I read together before falling asleep that first night. If he thinks he’s gotten me with his ham-fisted use of Shakespeare well...he’s right. My hands leave his, but not to push away, but to glide up to his shoulders as I lead my body towards his. He slowly unfolds his hands, allowing them to wrap themselves around my waist. We look at each other, both of our shoulders rising and lowering in-sync as breathing quickens at an equal pace. He leans in...and I lean in, and we kiss, his nose awkwardly grinding against my right cheek.

“Oh...I’m...I’m sorry.” he apologizes meekly, shying back.

I shouldn’t be doing this, I could get into so much trouble with Amanda, engaging in any sort of romantic affair, no less while on a mission, is highly unprofessional. But then again, technically I’m not working for  the government anymore, and, and when have I ever had a shot at something like this? Embarrassing as it is, that was my first kiss. Someone like me just doesn’t get many opportunities for romance, despite what movies will tell you.

Tilting my head to the left to avoid his nose, I lean in, instigating another kiss. He responds immediately, gripping me tightly. We pull each other closer, enjoying the comforting warmth of each other’s embrace.

Finally, I pull away, wiping his saliva off of my lips. Oswald stares at me in disbelief, but also with a naive sense of joy, “I’ve...I’ve, never kissed anyone before. Well, except for Mother of course but...never like that. Does this mean...?”

“I don’t know…” I admit.

“Damn dude.” we both turn around to see the drugged out manager by the front doorway, grinning and bobbing his head, “You two went at it.”

“Just a simple courtship, I assure you.” Oswald replies, straightening his suit, “Now, I believe she’ll be taking the apartment.” he pulls out my wallet and takes out the appropriate amount of cash, placing it in his hands, “All yours.”

“Did you just steal my wallet?!” I realize, snatching it back from him.

He turns around, smiling mischievously as the manager walks away with the cash, “It was just a little insurance...” he paces back over to me, his arms beginning to slide around my waist, “My dear.”

I pull away, making my way toward the door, “No, this doesn’t change anything between us! I’m sorry Oswald, but I...I don’t know if a relationship between us would work.”

He turns me towards him, taking my hands into his, “Well, how will you know for certain if you don’t try?”

How could I even begin to answer that question?

“I...I’m sorry I...I just need some time to think things over, okay?” I tell him, squeezing his hands. I pause for just a moment before letting go, and making my way to the door. Behind me, Oswald nods, “Alright.”

I leave the door open for him, and make my way down the stairs. At least I’ve got him off of my back. Maybe I should just make a run for it now, find room over near the theater district where Mooney’s Nightclub is, and be done with Oswald Cobblepot. But...that kiss. I could never quite imagine what a kiss would feel like, and now I know. It’s primal and unrestrained, but also tactile and precise. No...no, I need something, anything, to get my mind off of this. Amanda is going to kill me...Amanda, didn’t she suggest to return to the scene of the crime? The motel where the fire happened. She suspected something was fishy about that fire...but then again, she suspects something’s wrong with everything. Well, it’s something to do, and I should also prepare for tonight, my meet up with Amanda’s contact at Mooney’s Nightclub. Maybe get a new dress, something more business appropriate. I wonder what Oswald would think...no, no, what he thinks doesn’t matter, what matters is the mission. The blood begins to drain out of my face, and I finally am able to compose myself. Alright, focus, you need, to focus…

“Natalie?”

Author's Note:

Song on the record:

 “People Will Say We’re In Love” from Oklahoma (song Oswald plays on the record):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t75v8AfZvm4