On the Run

Batwoman helps Renee into the Batmobile as I hop onto my motorbike, both of which we left hidden behind some hedges near Don Falcone's mansion. I turn the radio on my motorbike as it and the Batmobile speed off.

"There's no way I could take Renee to a regular hospital. Do you know how to remove a bullet?" Batwoman asks from her radio.

"...I could try. But depending on whether or not the bullet shattered, she may need a blood transfusion. Unless we're certain one of us is the same blood type, we need to get to a hospital," I inform her.

Batwoman shakes her head, "...it sounds crazy, but...if you had the blood packs, you could remove the bullet, correct?"

"Like I said, I'll try."

Batwoman revs up the Batmobile, "Good, we're heading to the hospital."

My eyebrows raise in surprise, "...what?"

"I can't believe we just stole from a hospital," I gripe, my hands remaining steady as I hook Renee up to a blood pack.

"Well, we didn't have enough time for Barbara Kean to come in and offer some dumb excuse along with a wad of cash, now did we?" Batwoman counters, crossing her arms while keeping a lookout.

Just outside Gotham General Hospital, Batwoman, Renee, and I lie hidden in the dark woods that surround the hospital. I've taken off Renee's mask as she leans against a tree.

With Renee under heavy anesthesia, I begin to work on removing the bullet from her shoulder, "So...what does this mean for you? Now that you've officially been kicked out of the Court of Owls?"

"Me? I'd be more worried about you and Renee right now. You two need to go into hiding. We all do. The Court will come for us, and looking at the kind of numbers they're packing in terms of Talons, the ones we've been facing so far have only been a practice round."

I nod, concentrating on Renee, "...where will you go?"

"I can get V to find us hotel rooms on the downlow. Maybe we should get out of the city altogether-...oh, but we're so close! We know the Court's hideout, all we need is some damning evidence, photos, books, anything!" Batwoman paces around frantically.

"We'll get them, Babs. We just need to be patient," I assure her.

She collapses onto the ground, "Why can't vigilante work be like it is in the radio dramas?"

I chuckle, as I remove a piece of the bullet from Renee's shoulder, "If only it were. But in real life...good doesn't always prevail."

"That should be Gotham's new motto," Batwoman jokes, "Gotham, good doesn't always prevail, written in white cursive lettering on a green highway sign."

"Next to a sunset?" I add.

She nods, "Next to a sunset."

I pull out the last piece and clean the wound, "There. I just need to stitch and bandage the wound. She'll make it."

Batwoman breathes a sigh of relief, "Thank God."

Just then, shadows fly over the trees we hide under. Batwoman and I huddle under the nearest tree as Talons fly over the trees, the small metal wings that retract from their arms allowing them to glide through the air. They gather on and around the hospital, glancing and checking every window.

"They knew we'd be here," I realize aloud.

Batwoman nods, "C'mon, let's get out of here."

I barge into my apartment, ripping off my Trickstress mask. Only grab what I absolutely need, and then get out. I glance around the apartment, this could very well be my last time in here. It's almost like...I've built a life here. A home, in its own strange way.

I rush from the living room and swing open the door to my bedroom. I pull out the suitcase I'd brought when originally coming to Gotham. I change out of my Trickstress costume to stash it in its metal case, which I slip into the back pouch of the suitcase, along with my communicator and lock-picking set. The next thing I grab is the photo of Ed and I at our high school graduation. Next, I raid my closet for a few extra changes of clothes, and head into the bathroom to collect some toiletries. But when I exit the bathroom, who else to be there, standing in front of the doorway, than Oswald, his arms crossed.

"And where do you think you're going, hm?"

I march up to Oswald, and without hesitation, punch him in the jaw. He falls to the floor, a small spurt of blood splashing onto the ground.

"You think you can join my enemy and not expect me to want to kill you?!" I shout slamming my fist into the wall.

He raises his hands up in defense, "Believe me, I did not join the Court of Owls because I subscribe to anything they believe in. Don Falcone offered the position and...how could I refuse?"

I round up my arm for another punch, but Oswald interrupts me, "Before you strike again, know that it was I who used the light to blind the Talons and help you escape."

Him? Really? While I wouldn't doubt he would help us for his own motivations, he did still save the lives of me and my friends.

I cross my arms, "Fair enough. Now get out of my way."

Oswald stammers up just in time to slam my bedroom door shut, using his body to block it, "No, no, no...ha...you know I always expect favors to be returned."

My eyes become slits, "...fine. Get in the bed, let's get this over with."

"Why the rush, Trixie?" he asks, his voice becoming slow and low, "Somewhere to go?"

I nod, "Yes. Away from here. The Court knows my address, Talons could be coming any minute now."

Oswald shakes his head, "No, they won't. As long as a member of the Court is in your presence you will be safe. Besides, it's Barbara they want, not you."

"And...how do I know that? How do I know one isn't waiting to kill me now?" I question, keeping up my guard.

He walks forward, and takes my hands into his, "...you can trust me."

I shake my head, "No...no, I can't."

"...fine," Oswald sniffles, his cheeks becoming red, "trust not in me. But rather, trust in my knife. Trust that it will plunge into the throats of you or anyone you have ever loved or cared about."

His grin spreads to the corners of his mouth as he leans his head down, "That is...should you ever disobey."

"You're insane."

He simply laughs, "Oh Trixie...love is insanity. And we're just two more victims."

I begin pacing around the room, "So...are you just going to keep me prisoner in my room all night?"

Oswald chuckles, before rolling his tongue around in his mouth, "...if need be."

I push my suitcase aside, before making a slow, drawn out walk toward him. He holds firm in his position, bracing himself to the door, nearly shaking.

I run my hand down his suit, before reaching back up to undo his necktie, before tearing off his jacket and undoing the first few buttons of his black vest.

He watches me do this with a sick fascination, "...go ahead, take what you want."

I smile, before pulling back to undo my own shirt, "I thought that was your job."