Secrets

I put one of the couch pillows under Oswald's head, before stepping toward the living room window. His body is covered by a heavy blanket that matches the couch, clothes strewn over the couch and floor. I pick up his thin white shirt and put it on, concealing my otherwise naked body. The shirt is a little long for me, going down to my upper thighs, but it's otherwise just my size.

I pull back the curtains of the living room window, and look out into the city skyline. It's one of those rare clear nights in Gotham, with the moon in full view between two brightly lit skyscrapers. I pull his shirt closer, some of his warmth still lingering.

A shadow of clouds pass over the full moon, slightly obscuring it from view. Behind me, the record player clicks to life and slow jazz begins playing. I turn around to find Oswald, wearing nothing but his jacket and slacks. He wraps his arms around my waist.

"That...was exceptional," he chuckles, squeezing me.

I place my hands on his arms, a frown crossing my face, "That...was a mistake."

"No," he shakes his head, "no...we may have our differences, but, when we're together...it's wonderful."

We kiss, a slight breeze whipping my hair and pulling me toward him. The right thing to do would be to push him away...but, I don't want to. Is that wrong? And, and besides, Fish wants me to seduce him, isn't that what I've done? Or was it him who seduced me? Was it something in between?

Oswald leans down, and my expression gives me away. He frowns, and his grip on me tightens, constricting me to his chest.

"I know what you're thinking...that I'm not right for you...that I don't...deserve you."

I remain silent for a couple of seconds, contemplating my next words, "No...that's...that's not it Oswald. We're just...too different, you know what I mean?"

Grabbing my hand, he leads me into the living room, where he sits us down at the piano, opening it up.

"You say either, and I say ither," he starts, playing a single note.

"Huh?"

"You say neither, and I say nither. Follow along," he instructs, smiling to me.

"Either, ither, neither, nither, let's call the whole thing off. Come on now. You like potato, and I like..."

He turns to me expectantly, and I shrug, "...potauto?"

"Yeah. You like tomato, and I like..."

Starting to get the idea, I join in, "...tomauto."

We switch off, singing, "Potato!"

"Potauto!"

"Tomato!""

Tomauto!"

"Let's call the whole thing off!" we sing together.Oswald wraps his arms around my waist, "But oh...if we call the whole thing off then we must part. And oh...if we ever part then that might break my heart."

"So if you like pajyamas, and I pajamas, I'll wear pajyamas and give up pajamas," I sing before Oswald joins in, swinging me back and forth, "for we, know we, need each other so we, better call the calling off off! Let's call the whole thing off!"

We chuckle, as we get up from the piano and start to dance, the music still playing in our heads. I begin, "I say laughter and you say laoughter. You say after and I say aufter."

"Laughter!"

"Laoughter!"

"After!"

"Aufter!"