Batwoman Begins

I’m on the block of my apartment complex when I see two police officers carrying out a body bag, with two more lying in an ambulance truck parked by a few police cruisers. There’s been a killing at the apartment? I jog up to the front steps, my black work boots pounding against the pavement until I reach the entrance. Still in my officer uniform, I’m able to easily infiltrate the crime scene without question. The trail of officers and investigators lead me to a room on the sixth floor, above both Mrs. Cobblepot’s and my apartment. One open door leads into a room bathed in a greenish, grey light. The apartment appears to have been under renovation, as it is mostly empty save some plastic covers and paint supplies. Evidence markers line the floor, along with chalk outlines of where the bodies once stood. There’s no blood around the body markers, and there doesn’t appear to have been a struggle either. Then my eye catches a damning piece of evidence, a pink bakery box with black lining. Going over to the body markers, there are also half-eaten pastries by all of the bodies. Cannoli too. A terrible feeling builds at the bottom of my stomach. He couldn’t have, but then again, he absolutely could have.

I climb down the stairs to my room, discreetly slipping into my apartment. Opening the fridge, I look for the bakery box from this morning, but it's no where to be found.

"I've already disposed of the evidence," Oswald's appeared in the doorway to my room, a satisfied smirk stretching ear to ear.

I sigh, "What did you do?"

"Like I said, I bumped into some acquaintances from school who happened to be men-for-hire. On top of that, I happened to have a job available for them, but it required...confidentiality. I couldn't have any witnesses."

I put my hands on my hips, scolding him as if I were scolding a child, "What did I say about not killing?"

"I only did it this morning, after our agreement was fulfilled. No killing for a week," he points out, splaying his arms out before clasping them together in a business-like manner.

I twist my lips, it's true I set the time for a week, but I wanted him to continue past that week. And I can only bargain so much. Maybe before I can eliminate the problem, I need him to admit that he has a problem.

"Alright, fair enough. You did fulfill the agreement," I admit, crossing my arms.

He chuckles, "I'm glad you understand."

Oswald crosses over to me and clasps my shoulders, "I just got back from work as well. Don Maroni finds me very valuable to his team...or at least, he will."

"How so?" I ask.

"I will reveal to him that I once worked for Fish and Falcone. He may distrust me at first, but soon he will realize that I am a valuable asset to him."

I smile, "I'm sure he will."

Oswald leans in and kisses me on the cheek, "I have to work the night shift for Maroni, but when I get home, perhaps we could cap off tonight with a little...fun?"

His hands move down to my waist, massaging me through the fabric of my police uniform. Wow, he's already asking for more? To be honest I still haven't fully recovered from last night, and it doesn't help that he's such an animal in bed.

“No, I’m busy tonight, and besides, why would I want to have sex with a murderer?” I ask, although I let him cling to me.

He laughs, his yellowed teeth on full display, “Haven’t you already?”

Oswald pushes me onto the couch before joining me, his two arms on either side of me, locking me in place. He licks his lips, “You’ve made a pact with me, it’s too late to back off now. All you can do is...enjoy the ride.”