Foul Play

The knife makes contact, piercing skin and tearing through flesh. Juice runs down the apple and drips down onto my face. I look up at the fruit, now held in place on the wheel by the knife. I can’t help but smile, I didn’t even feel the blade pass above me.

As I duck to get out of the way of the apple, Zsasz starts clapping.

"This is amazing, the both of you are progressing very well. I think I can actually take you two out sooner than I-"

A buzzing noise begins vibrating in his pocket, and the song "Funkytown" starts playing. Zsasz takes his flip phone out of his pocket and answers it, "Y'ellow."

He turns away from us as he answers his call. Ducking out from under the apple, leaving it sticking to the wooden wheel, I walk back toward Zsasz and Ann.

Zsasz quickly snaps his phone shut before storing it back into his pocket, “Ladies, our first assignment awaits. We’re to pick up a James Gordon from the GCPD, Falcone wants him.”

Gordon? What does Falcone want with him? Perhaps Gordon is more of a hypocrite than I’d thought.

After stocking up on some handguns, Zsasz leads us out of the warehouse and to a sleek black car. Pretty standard fare, and after all, who doesn’t drive a black car in Gotham? Ann and I get in the back, while Zsasz takes the wheel.

“Now, remember what I taught you girls. Stone cold, silent. I’ll do all the talking.”

We both nod, before Zsasz starts the car. Ann loads her gun, it’s odd seeing her in a situation like this. Before, all I knew her for was dancing.

We pull up at the GCPD, and Zsasz is the first to get out. Like a showman about to make his grand entrance onstage, he lowers his head before loading his gun directly in front of three police officers guarding the precinct. Recognizing him, they all simultaneously back off, allowing us to pass through without conflict.

Upon entering the GCPD, Zsasz fires his gun into the air, startling those in the precinct. He hops up on top of a nearby desk while Ann and I stand off to the side.

“Hello, everyone. My name...is Victor Zsasz. I’m sent here personally by Don Carmine Falcone himself, on a matter of deep concern to him so please be respectful.”

He pauses for a brief moment, “I’m here, for Jim Gordon. Only him, everyone else, mind your own business and we’re cool. ...so where’s Jim at?”

The officers and detectives all turn their heads toward Captain Essen’s office. Zsasz places his fingers on his chest, bowing slightly, “...thank you.”

His voice suddenly gains a menace to it as he calls him out, “Hey Jim! Jiiiimmm…”

The door to the Captain’s office opens as Gordon steps out. Zsasz gives a playful gasp, “Hi Jim, relax, we’re suppose to take you in alive. Don Falcone wants to talk.”

I keep my hands behind my back as I watch the spectacle. What is Gordon going to do? Knowing his stubborn nature, there’s no way he would just let Zsasz take him. Then again, there isn’t really much he can do either…

“Tell Falcone that we’ll talk...but not today,” Gordon concludes, standing by the stair railing.

Zsasz clenches his fists, “Don’t be that way. Alive is a very broad category. A man with no hands, can still be alive.”

“There are fifty cops in here. Try something,” Gordon provokes, maintaining his usual flat expression.

“Everybody out,” Zsasz immediately replies.