A Riddle's Worth a Thousand Words

The GCPD is overcrowded with officers and criminals alike, although it can be hard to decipher which is which. I hurry to find Gordon, but he's not at his office, and neither is Bullock. Were the detectives already on a case this early in the morning? Or had they not even arrived?

"If you're looking for Detective Gordon, he won't be in for quite some time."I turn around to find Lieutenant O'Hara, the man I drove with during the Jervis Tetch case.

"And why's that?" I ask.

"Word has it that he was ordered by Don Falcone to kill some schmuck but...didn't. They found out and now are out for his head," he informs, taking off his patrol hat, "good kid but...too ambitious."

So that's why Zsasz was after him...and the man he was suppose to kill was Oswald! No wonder he doesn't trust him, and it also explains why Oswald is so fond of him. The question now is: would Gordon be courageous enough to face Falcone when he's the one after his head? Even if it's to save Barbara?

"Do you have any idea where he'd be?" I ask O'Hara.

He shrugs, "No idea. Figured he'd of left town if he were smart. Why are you looking for him anyway?"

My eyes shift from side to side. Can I trust this man?

"Well, I have some information...some...sensitive information, that might help Gordon's case. But I can only help him if I can find him," I admit, skirting around admitting the actual information I have.

Just then, O'Hara's wireless radio starts buzzing, "Two suspects identified to be GCPD Detectives James Gordon and Harvey Bullock, headed down Miller Street with Mayor James in tow. The Roman says to not engage, repeat, do not engage."

I look up at him, and Lieutenant O'Hara frowns, "Well, guess you got your answer."

Miller Street...that's uptown. But where uptown would they be heading? That's past the Mayor's house, so the only place they could be heading is...oh no.

"Thank you Lieutenant, I think I'm going to be taking an early lunch break," I tell him, before running out.

As I run for my desk, he calls out, "That's on the other side of town! You'll never get there in time!"

I pick up the rotary phone and dial Veronica Vreeland, "V, how fast can you get my motorbike to the GCPD?"

"More transportation problems? Darling, I know gas is in short supply, but you can't call me everytime you need a lif-"

"V, this is about Babs, Falcone is either using her as bait or as a bargaining chip for her fiancee. I need to stop him before he gets to his mansion," I spit out a whisper into the phone.

"Oh, oh! Well, in that case..." there's sounds of fiddling on the other end of the line, "it'll be there shortly."

I sigh in relief, "For a rich socialite, you're not so bad V. Thanks."

"I try dear, I try. Also, I hope you enjoy the changes I made to your costume. It's much better equipped for combat now, and plus, much more fashionable. Polka dots are so passe."

I chuckle, before hanging up the phone and turning around. I'll have to head to the bathroom to change. There's a window in the lady's room upstairs, just big enough for me to fit through. I grab the bag I keep under my desk and begin marching towards the stairs to my destination.I'm halfway up the stairs when a tall form steps in my way.

"Natalie, there you are. Exactly...seven minutes and forty nine seconds late. Tsk tsk...we're falling behind, aren't we, Officer K?" Ed asks with a playful grin, tilting his head down.

"Ed, I wasn't late, I just have things to do, one of them being now," I state, turning my body to side-step him.

He inches his limber body in my direction, blocking me from advancing, "Well...I could accompany you, correct? We could go on another of our escapades!"

I shake my head, stepping in the other direction, only to have Ed mimic my movements, "No, Ed, not today, okay? This is very urgent, and I-...need to..."

Growing impatient, I grab him by the shirt collar and push him to the side, clearing my path. I dash up the remaining stairs, but my arm is grasped by Ed, his longer legs allowing him to clear more ground. He pulls me to him and lifts up the short-sleeved shirt of my policeman's uniform.

"What is this?" he inquires, pointing to a mark on my arm.

I glance down, and realize it's the cut on my arm Oswald made last night. While I no longer feel pain, there's still a visible indentation where the wound was made.

"It's...I fell, okay? Now, let go!" I yank his grip away, but he only grabs on again.

"No...Natalie, the trajectory is all wrong...someone inflicted this onto you!" Ed declares, pointing to my injury.

The officers around us begin to stop and stare at the two of us.

I grumble, "Ed...you're causing a scene, trust me it's nothing. Now, I have to go."

He lurches forward, grabbing my other arm, "No Natalie, you need to settle down, clear your head...you're highly distressed, please, listen to me!"

I'm getting desperate, he won't let go. Oh Ed, he cares...but, always at the wrong time.With my right leg, I kick him up into the stomach. He curls back, releasing his grip on both sides. He falls to the floor, clutching his stomach.

"Oh god, Ed...I'm so sorry..." I murmur.

"That's what you get for harassing a lady like that, Eddie!" one of the officers calls out.

Too embarrassed and too much in a rush to say anymore, I escape down the hall and find the women's restroom, a single unit the size of a storage closet. Slamming the door shut, I lock it before reaching into my bag to pull out my Trickstress costume. Taking a look at the new costume...yikes, Veronica really did do a number on it. The polka dots have been completely removed, still keeping the baby blue base. Instead, she added small white accents to the shoulders. In addition, she also gave me new matching boots and gloves. Still no cape though, what a shame.I'm just finishing putting on my costume, straightening on the gloves, when there's a knock on the door.

"Nat...all is forgiven for kicking me in my pancreas but...please open up. I think you'd benefit from a calm conversation," Ed stutters from the other side of the door.

He must still be doubled over from that kick, I really owe him one an apology after this is all over.

"Ed, I am so...so sorry for that. But I just need to be alone right now," I stammer as I open the window.

"Nat, you're decent, right? Because I'm coming in," he declares.

I frown, Ed could never take a hint, could he?

With a small pin, Ed begins whittling away at the loosely connected bolts holding the door to the wall, "Thanks to disrepair, these should come off right about...now."

The bottom bolt snaps off, and the entire door comes crashing down, crumbling into a cloud of dust in front of Ed. He looks up beyond the mess to discover that I've disappeared, leaving nothing but an empty bathroom and an open window.

"...Nat?"

Author's Note: Is anyone interested in me continuing the '66 Standalone Specials? At least I want to do a standalone every eight chapters, or about once a month. If there's no interest in the '66 series, then instead of another '66 episode I'll try something new. But I wanted to get your opinions first.