A Dark Knight to Remember

We approach a one-story building at the edge of the warehouse district. The word "Bamonte's" is written in golden lettering on the front window. The restaurant itself is fairly empty, the dim lighting illuminating the restaurant and bar area.

Upon entering, a large man in a charcoal gray suit gets up from his table and approaches us, "My friend, welcome."

The man opens his arms and Oswald gets on his tippy toes to hug the man. Afterwards, Oswald turns around, "Don Maroni, this is Trixie. Trixie, this is my boss Don Maroni."

Oswald steps out of the way as Maroni takes my hand and kisses it, "Pleasure. Your table is the one by the window in front. Please, enjoy."

I smile politely, "Thank you."

Oswald takes me by the waist and leads me to the table. The table for two has been set up to include complimentary bread and a bottle of wine. Oswald pulls out the seat for me, and I tentatively sit down as he pushes the chair in, allowing his hand to brush my shoulders as he hobbles back to his seat. We open up the menus. For such a small restaurant, the prices are outrageous, although it makes sense, the price on seafood has been going up ever since they declared the Gotham River too polluted to fish…

“The marinated eel is lovely,” Oswald comments.

The what? I find marinated eel under the “fish” section and...that’s the most expensive item on the menu! Is he insane?!

“Well, yes but...it’s quite expensive. I think I’m just going to go with a salad-”

Oswald cuts me off when he reaches across the table and places his hand on mine, “Let me treat you tonight, my dear. I can afford it, and trust me, it’s delicious.”

Our waiter comes around, a scruffy man wearing a leather jacket over his waiter’s outfit, “Good evening, Penguin. Out on a date tonight?”

Oswald balls up his fists, his cheeks becoming slightly red, “Ha! Mr. Frankie Carbone, ever the jokester! On waiter duty tonight I see?”

I’ve never seen Oswald this...snappy. He looks at Frankie with dark, daring eyes. His movements seem relaxed but controlled almost to a fault.

“Pfff! Waiters decide to go on strike, so me and the boys gotta fill in, now are you gonna order something or what?” Frankie asks, his voice low-toned and gruff.

Oswald closes his menu and slams in onto the table, “The marinated eel for the both of us, please.”

Frankie chuckles sarcastically as he collects our menus, “Good luck paying for that, schmuck.”

I look around and notice that there are only three waiters on staff, including Frankie. The other two are large men who look like they barely fit into their waiter uniforms. Hired muscle, and Frankie must be their leader. But there’s something I couldn’t help but notice between Frankie and Oswald…

“You like him,” I realize aloud as Frankie disappears into the restaurant kitchen.

Oswald jerks his head up, “Wha, what do you mean?”

I giggle, “You know what I mean Oswald.”

“Well, what if I do? Does that make you jealous?” he challenges, his eyes wide and wild.

I grab the bottle of wine and uncork it, pouring a glass for Oswald and myself, “Of course I’m jealous, but there’s a difference between jealousy and vengefulness,” I put the bottle down, “for example, the friend I exchange letters with, Ed? He...he likes another woman, and while I may not necessarily approve of the two of them as a couple, if that’s what he feels will make him happy...well, who am I to stop him? So yes, I am jealous of Frankie, but that’s not going to make me antagonize him, and besides, he seems to be doing a good job of that himself.”