An Enigma

I stumble back a couple of steps...that's not Ed. A nametag on the man's suit reads "Edward Nigma", not "Edward Nygma". A simple spelling error saved Ed's life. Relieved, but at the same time still shocked, my arms jolt when Oswald places his hands on my shoulders. Massaging my shoulders, he leans in close, "Let this be a lesson to you. Double-crossing me has consequences."

He kisses my neck, and I react by pushing him away, "And you think this is going to earn you any favors?! I wanted to give you a second chance, but you've just squandered it!"

Oswald shies back, "I...I just thought...you should be free from him."

"...what? First of all Oswald, that's not Ed, thank god. Second: you may have...understandable intentions, but your actions are inexcusable."

His sad puppy-dog expression shifts to one of malice, "Oh really? My actions are inexcusable? That's pretty rich coming from someone who just killed a girl to get her job."

My fists clench, and I try to conceal my shock and surprise. How does he know?

Clearly, I can't hide my emotions very well, because Oswald's lips curl into a wide grin, as he nods his head, "You thought you could fool me? Prevent me from sneaking into your apartment and finding your little costume? With the mask? Hmm?"

Turning aggressive, he pushes me against the doorway into the closet, chuckling through closed lips, "You and I are the same. We both want acceptance, love, and respect. But getting those things is not easy for people like us. So we wait...and wait...and hope that maybe, someday someone would accept us. But they don't, do they? So...the only way people will ever care about us...is if we force them to. And force them we shall."

He places a finger on the bottom of my chin, before kissing me on the lips. Why I let him, I don't know, maybe because he's right, maybe because he's wrong and I'm pitying him. But either way, the action is clear, no matter the motive.

"Trixie...stay. You're the only one who could possibly understand...how I feel," he pleads.

My expression softens, I certainly wasn't expecting something so...sentimental from him. But then again, he knows how to surprise me and then twist it to his advantage. I won't let him do that again.

"No Oswald, I'm not the only one who could understand you. Your mother will always understand you better than I ever could, she's your mother. And...and I'm sure that, throughout your life, you'll find many other people who've had similar experiences, people you can relate to. I'm not the only one."

He wraps his arms around me and smiles, "For a trained killer you're...are a very optimistic person."

I can't help but grin, "Maybe I'm just insane."

"Maybe you're just in love."

We kiss, Oswald practically forcing his tongue down my throat. I pull back just as there's a pounding at the door.

"GCPD, open up!" a loud voice booms.

Pulling out a purple handkerchief, Oswald quietly closes the door and wipes the handle with the handkerchief, "I already cleaned off the body," he whispers.

I follow him into the next room, careful that my fingerprints don't touch anything. Oswald hands me his handkerchief and I open up the rusty window leading to a fire escape.

From the other room, the door is kicked down just as I close the window. We hustle down to the ground level and make our escape into the street.

As we run, I slow down so Oswald can keep up with me. Running with a limp and in a suit must be unpleasant.