Usual Suspects

As Ed and I reach the top of the basement stairs, we can already hear the commotion coming from GCPD lobby. Press have flooded the area, surrounding the middle section, their cameras constantly flashing. Other officers stand off to the side, as they pose for pictures.

"It's a new day," I hear Gordon's voice from somewhere inside the crowd of press.

Spotting my confused expression, Ed leans down to whisper to me, "Oh yes, while you were away, the Electrocutioner attacked the GCPD. However, James Gordon was able to stop him, and as a result..."

Ed's smile suddenly turns into a glare, "He's being...honored."

Getting a peek in between the many reporters, I spot Gordon posing for the cameras with the Commissioner, the two of them holding Gordon's old detective badge.

"Guess this means he's back on the force," I comment.

"Indeed," Ed grumbles, crossing his arms, "you know, it was me who suggested that Gordon wear the rubber foot gear that protected him from the Electrocutioner's attacks. Why isn't anybody...thanking me?"

I turn to Ed, "You know, Gordon might not be one of my favorite people, but I'm sure he knows you had a hand in this. He's not like most cops."

"I know, but...perhaps...maybe I deserve more for my work. An acknowledgement, in any form...would be...very much appreciated," he stutters, glancing back-and-forth between me and the crowd of reporters,

I chuckle, rubbing Ed's shoulder, "Well, if it's worth anything, I appreciate everything you do for me, Ed. I mean, if it wasn't for you, I would never have visited an alternate universe!"

Ed and I both chuckle amongst ourselves, and I suggest, "Hey, wanna get out of here before Captain Essen spots me? We can get take-out, then catch one of those late night movies."

"Science fiction double feature!" Ed shouts for joy, as the two of them sneak out of the GCPD.

    In Trixie's apartment, Oswald sits, alone, in one of the living room chairs. Where is she? He'd dropped in last night, expecting her to be home from work. But no where. He'd made himself at home in her living room, preparing for her arrival. But she didn't show up all night. He'd slept through the night, only to go to work the next morning. He'd returned in the late evening, only to find her absent once more.

A dreaded thought crept through Oswald's mind. Was she at someone's home? A man, perhaps? Someone was certainly responsible in Trixie's recent hostility towards him. But who?

He knew Barbara was hiding out somewhere in Blüdhaven, and with the Court of Owls having drained her of her funds, she was due to return to Gotham soon, playing right into their hands. Oswald didn't have much concern for keeping tabs on her, the Court and Barbara's parents would take care of her. He also had the address of Renee Montoya's parent's house, where she was currently staying. They lived in Blüdhaven as wall, which means it would only take Gabe and the boys a short train ride to shoot them all down, Barbara, Renee, and Renee's parents for good measure. Or maybe he could simply order the Talons to take them out. Why waste his own men?

Then there's the mystery man, Edward Nygma. He thought he'd identified and killed him, but no, turns out there were two men by similar names. And the Edward Nygma he seeks did not list his address in the phone book. Blast. Trixie claims that this man does not desire her, but knowing she has affection for him makes his blood boil. His fist clenches on the chair's arm just thinking about it. Who was he, and what made him so attractive to her?

Oswald's eyes widen as he remembers the one last piece of the puzzle. Crispus Allen. She thought he didn't know, but Oswald knew that Crispus had been making passes at Trixie. How dare he. A man doesn't take what belongs to another. Or maybe he was never taught that. Perhaps he would have to teach it to him.