Society Ladies

In the GCPD archives, I sit down at the archival computer, typing at the heavy keys and searching up Marsha's name.

"Uhm...Natalie, right? Mr. Nygma's friend?"

I turn around to find Kristen Kringle, clutching a clipboard.

"Yes, hello Ms. Kringle. Or do you prefer Kristen?" I ask.

"Kristen. Only Mr. Nygma calls me Ms. Kringle," she explains, "are you working on a case?"

I nod, "Mhm...Marsha, Queen of Diamonds is back to her old tricks again, and since I wasn't alive when she was active, I thought I'd look up her profile. But I can't seem to find it-"

"Oh, that's because not everything has made it to the digital archive yet. Yeah, the IT guys have been pretty slow about that. Here, I could help you find it," she offers.

"Thank you Kristen. And maybe Ed could help the IT guys with the archive, he's very good with computers-"

"No, trust me, he's already offered his help, and they don't want it," she interrupts.

I raise an eyebrow, "Decline Ed's help? Why?"

"He wanted to overhaul the entire system altogether. Obviously the IT guys didn't want all of their work wasted, so they told him to buzz off."

I follow Kristen through the archive room, as she opens up one of the filing cabinets, "Okay...there should be a file on Marsha right...here!"

She pulls out a moderately filled folder and hands it to me, "Hope that helps."

"Thanks Kristen," I repeat.

"Don't mention it. Just...maybe you could help keep Mr. Nygma off of my back? He sometimes makes very...unappreciated advances."

I press my fingers against my cheek, "Uhm, sure, of course."

She smiles, "Thanks. Oh, and by the way, I'm definitely rooting for you two."

Kristen walks off, leaving me standing with the folder. My slightly confused smile turns into a downtrodden frown. If she's rooting for us, she best hold her breath.

    "So, I was wondering if you knew anything about high society dinners. Carmine wants me to help with a gathering he's having tomorrow night," Liza explains, as she sets cloth napkins and silverware around a long mahogany table in Falcone's dining room.

I slowly nod my head, I've hung around Barbara and Veronica enough to at least give her some pointers, "Well, first off, they call it supper, not dinner. They like their gatherings very specific, from the looks of the silverware, he's going for a Victorian styled three course meal."

Liza places down the last set of silverware, "Yeah, he mentioned something about a Victorian...I thought he meant the house. What does a Victorian dinner look like?"

"I'm not entirely sure. But he must have a book on it, let's check the kitchen."

Liza follows me to the kitchen, "I was thinking I could make something with all the eggs we've been getting from Carmine's chickens. He's very fond of them, but at the same time, I now have two dozen eggs and almost nothing to do with them."

We stop right at the doorway when we notice Don Falcone at the breakfast bar, entertaining company.

"Marsha, it's so wonderful to see you again. I'm glad you've decided to return. It's about time," he smiles at the woman in her signature pink cashmere suit.