Pretty Poison

I storm away from Oswald, making my way into the main room, where the pink diamond is. How much is this thing worth that Marsha would come out of retirement to get it? Or perhaps she's playing a longer game. Maybe the diamond isn't the endgame after all.

Through the open archways leading back to the museum entrance, I spot Marsha and her henchmen. She's going from group to group, greeting and schmoozing every guest when possible. But as she waves her arms around vivaciously or pats a flattered gentleman on the back, she helps herself to golden watch chains and rhinestones attached to dresses. Well, if she's going to steal, it might as well be in good taste. But something's wrong. Why would she casually steal from random museum guests? Is she just being reckless? Or is this part of her plan?

As she laughs with the same people she steals from, she starts moving toward the serving table near the entrance. After chatting up a nearby group of people, she quickly checks around before pouring her champagne drink into the shrimp cocktails.

Funny, this whole time I've never seen her drink once from that champagne glass. Because...that's not champagne, it's poison! But why did she poison just the shrimp cocktails? Why just that and not everything else on the table?

To my horror, I watch as Oswald limps toward the serving table. That's right, Oswald mentioned aloud that he wanted a shrimp cocktail! She must have heard our conversation.

I lean in from the archway as Oswald parks himself in front of the table. Should I stop him? The poison could kill him...but at the same time, I can't get what he did to me out of my head. I might regret not saving him in advance, but I might regret not letting him die.

He starts shovelling down shrimp cocktails like there's no tomorrow. I can't help but sigh. Oswald has a pension for seafood after all, but that doesn't excuse bad manners.

After the fifth shrimp cocktail, Oswald starts heavily coughing, clutching the end of the table. While watching him, my hands become restless, and I start to fidget with my dress. I shake my head, I can't watch him suffer like that.

Sighing, I start making my way toward him. Other guests start crowding around him as he falls to the floor. I push my way through the crowd to him.

Getting down on my knees, I take Oswald by the shoulders, "Oswald?!"

I lay him on his side and reach over to tear a piece of cloth from off of the serving table's tablecloth. With the cloth, I wipe off any remnants of the shrimp while I check his pulse.

"Someone call an ambulance!" I call out to the gasping and gaping guests surrounding us.

I lay my hand on his as I keep an eye on his pulse. If he starts choking, I can give him CPR.

My heart stops as something begins to curl around my finger. I turn to find Oswald's hand clutching mine. My expression softens, and just for a moment, I push my hand into his so that our palms touch. The moment passes quickly though, and I'm back to checking his pulse as the red ambulance lights shine into the museum.

The emergency medical staff rush Oswald, and I immediately back away and let them take over. I want to take a sigh of relief, but I know it's not over yet. As the crowd follows the ambulance staff outside, I turn around as the clacking of a singular pair of heels dart from the next room. I run into the room to find that the pink diamond has been stolen, the tripwire Oswald installed cut through from the middle. I groan, that's it! Marsha must have used Oswald's poisoning as a distraction to allow her to steal the diamond. I leave the room and return to the crowd lingering at the entrance to remove myself from the crime scene. The guards will notice the crime any minute now, but right now, I need to make a hospital visit...