5.

TW: mention of abusement! (nothing too graphic, but still)

age 10

I excitedly jump up from my seat as Mrs Nelson dismisses the class.

"Not so fast Lizzy, darling! I don't want you to get hurt in such a rush." She calls after me in a warning tone as I'm already halfway out of the room.

"I'll be careful, I promise!" I yell back, running out to the corridor and maneuvering between the kids who also just finished their school day.

The reason why I'm in such a hurry is the paper I'm holding in my hand, being super careful not to wrinkle it.

It's my first math test of the year, and I got an A!

I can't wait to get home, and tell Mom about it. She's going to be so proud!

Our house is about a ten minute walk from school, but with the pace I'm currently using, I'll be there in no time.

On my way home, the idea of visiting Harry pops into my head. It would be only a small detour, and the thought of him and the wide grin on his face when he hears my news, is very tempting...

He knows how bad I am when it comes to math, so I bet he'll be all over the moon.

Only problem is, he told me yesterday he sleeps at a friend's tonight, so he's not going to be home the whole day. That means I have to go straight home, I'll tell him about this tomorrow when I get the chance.

As I reach our fence, I go through the little gate in the middle, taking rapid steps towards our front door.

I open it, walking into the house with an excited shout, holding the paper above my head and waving it. "Mom! I got an A in math!"

There's no answer though, the place is completely silent. I furrow my brows in confusion, walking into the living room, only to find no one there.

Where's mom?

She said she has a day off today, she promised she'll stay home to spend some time with me...

As I walk around, looking into every room to see if she's there, my disappointment only grows.

However, as I step into the kitchen, a piece of paper on the fridge immediately catches my attention. I go closer so I can read it properly, but as soon as I comprehend the meaning of the words written down, I feel like my legs are going to give out.

'The office called me in, it's urgent... Don't worry, Dad came home to watch you. Have fun, sweetheart!

Love, Mom.'

The moment I get to the end of the note, I hear the familiar deep voice from behind me. "How was your day, Lizzy?"

I feel a knot forming in my stomach, suddenly making me want to run away, and hide in a corner where no one can find me.

Reina [HS]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara