CHAPTER 10

Zou Rui didn't approach him for three days afterwards. Xiao Zhan guessed that this could be considered a so-called cold war period. He didn't take the initiative to make peace and he was indifferent over whether the relationship was completely broken off. In any case, his good impression of the other boy was ruined by the other in the first place. In addition, the anniversary of the school's founding was coming up and all the students were busy preparing for the show and the subsequent dance, and he was no exception.

Two years ago, Xiao Zhan had been banned from attending the dance because he had caused a lot of problems and he hadn't been allowed to participate in any campus activities. Last year, he did participate, but his clumsy dancing was captured on video and spread among the T University student body. He didn't want to go through that kind of humiliation a second time again.

On the weekend, Xiao Zhan went home. His home was far from school and his dad often traveled away from home, so he usually only returned once every two to three weeks.

Wang Yibo, acting like a parent sending his child off on a distant journey, cut fruit for him and told him to eat it on the road after two hours.

Xiao Zhan was dumbfounded. He frowned and stuffed the largest pieces of honeydew melon into Wang Yibo's mouth, reducing the weight of the container, and took the rest along.

As soon as he arrived home, Xiao Zhan was the recipient of his dad's gentle "interrogation".

"Baobei, do you like an alpha at school? If so, then hurry up and become partners."

This pet name was a bit sickening to Xiao Zhan, who was in his early twenties. Once when he was speaking with his dad, Liu Han heard to it. Since then, the guy had been jokingly calling him "Zhan Bao", no matter how many times he beat him up.

"Dad, don't worry about me, I know how to act properly."

Xiao Zhan's family was a single-parent family. His alpha father had cheated and run away with another omega before he was born, so it was his dad who'd raised him alone.

Although his dad was very hardworking, he was still a weak omega by nature. By raising a child alone, he'd suffered a lot of hardship. Xiao Zhan had watched him from a very young age and secretly made up his mind to be the one to protect his daddy. When other omegas were being raised in pampered and spoiled environments, he'd already been sweating in the gym with other alphas and betas.

He'd had to put in even more effort, more strength, than the others in order to break through his physical limitations and become an omega who could carry the responsibility of being the pillar of the household.

Perhaps it was precisely because of the absence of an alpha father that it was so difficult for Xiao Zhan to trust alphas, which was one of the reasons he'd never been able to find a favorite partner.

Papa Xiao was still very worried and brought the issue up during dinner, "If needed, I can ask if there are any new delaying suppressants."

Papa Xiao was engaged in scientific research and had become acquaintances with some physicians who were studying suppressants, but Xiao Zhan immediately put an end to his unrealistic thoughts, "If there are, they would've been on the market long ago. If they're still in the research stage before release, I won't risk using it."

Papa Xiao knew these words were reasonable and sighed helplessly, "I don't want you to have no choice when the times comes, having to find some random person passing by, just like me."

"Rest assured, Dad," Xiao Zhan consoled him, "A heat doesn't necessarily require a permanent mark, I can look for a mate afterwards."

"So you say, but......"

Xiao Zhan understood what his dad was hinting at. Although a heat could be satisfied with a temporary mark, sex was still a necessity. Once an alpha released the strong pheromones to suppress the omega, even if they were unwilling, they would have no other choice but to go along with the alpha.

No matter how high his combat power was, once his suppressant failed and the heat came, he would have no other choice than to be humiliated and taken advantage of by an alpha. Omegas were born weaker and what was engraved in their genes was truly difficult to change.

"Anyway, I won't let anyone bully me." He could only placate him like this for now.

After eating, Xiao Zhan had nothing to do. He scrolled the "meng pets" Weibo in his room. As he scrolled, that Wang from his dorm room came to mind and he wondered what he was doing right now...... Forget it, that guy was far better at housekeeping, he could take care of himself. He was just about to exit Weibo and play a few games when his phone suddenly started vibrating. Unexpectedly, he was receiving a video call invitation from Zou Rui.

He hesitated for moment, but still clicked accept.

"Hi, baby."

Zou Rui's face instantly appeared on the screen of his phone, looking as if he had just taken a shower. His hair was still wet and his face looked robust and healthy. He was naked, as if he was deliberately displaying his pecs and abs. Xiao Zhan had to admit that the sight was actually pleasing.

The cold war of the past few days was still in progress, so Xiao Zhan couldn't think of anything to say for a moment. He bluntly responded, "What's up."

Zou Rui smiled mischievously, "I know I was wrong, baby. I've just never been so mad at someone before, you're the first."

His tone was as if he were both a little wronged and feeling affectionate.

"Rui Ge, don't do that in the future, I won't stand for it." Xiao Zhan extended an olive branch.

He found a comfortable position for himself against the head of the bed, inadvertently shifting his neckline and revealing a bit of his fair skin.

Zou Rui felt a bit smug hearing himself be called "Rui Ge." Seeing Xiao Zhan's rare cute appearance, he couldn't help but rush to open his mouth again, "You don't eat hard things? Hmm?"

Xiao Zhan didn't understand at first, but when he caught sight of the evil smile on Zou Rui's face, he immediately responded, "Fuck."

He was getting so sick of this damn guy that he wanted to immediately hang up.

"Don't, don't, I was just kidding. I have something serious to discuss with you, really!"

Xiao Zhan reluctantly conceded to listening to him for a while. "If you talk nonsense again, I'll fucking block you."

Zou Rui believed that he would do it, so he quickly shared the true purpose of the call, "I'm serious. Zhan, do you want to be my dancing partner for this school dance?"

Choosing a dance partner at T University was a very serious matter. If an alpha was present with an omega, it basically meant that the two had established a serious relationship and intended to make it public, that is, a declaration of sovereignty. At last year's dance, Xiao Zhan went with his beta classmate, Xu Qian. He's an omega and Xu Qian's a girl, so naturally no one thought they were a pair.

Xiao Zhan couldn't make up his mind for a bit. Previously, Zou Rui was indeed his ideal choice of dance partner, but now he inexplicably recalled that silly dog.

"Do you?" Zou Rui asked again, "If you don't agree, I'll make an arrangement with someone else. This Ge is very popular."

Xiao Zhan hated this kind of radical method, "Oh, then you can find someone else."

"Stop, I'm talking nonsense, I want to see you and take you to the most face-saving event. So promise."

Xiao Zhan couldn't resist him in the end and promised to be Zou Rui's dance partner. He would treat it as the last opportunity for the other to perform well. If his heart still wasn't moved, then the show would be over after the dance.

The founding day celebration was a month away. He would have to practice well, to avoid repeating the same humiliation as last year. But Xiao Zhan couldn't lose face by telling Zou Rui that he couldn't dance. He had to teach himself how to dance. He thought it over and sent a message to Wang Yibo.

[The school founding dance's waltz, do you know how?]

Wang Yibo replied quickly: [I do, I do! Everyone in my family knows it and I've learned it too!]

Xiao Zhan: [Then you teach me.]

Wang Yibo: [Mhm!]

Immediately after, Wang Yibo sent a voice message. There was a smile in his voice, "I didn't expect Xuezhang to let me be your dance partner, I'm so happy! Thanks, Xuezhang!"

Xiao Zhan: "......"

He suddenly realized that it was inappropriate of him to do this. Wang Yibo liked him, but he was asking him to teach him to dance and then would go be someone else's partner.

Really is too hurtful.

[Forget it, no need, I'll learn it by myself.] Xiao Zhan deliberated how to say it, thinking of how to reply back with something less hurtful. He thought for a long time, getting really annoyed. He had never been good at comforting people.

Wang Yibo also went quiet and a new voice message was sent a moment later.

"Sorry, Xuezhang, seems I was overthinking it, haha. It's okay, no worries, let me teach you, okay?"

This silly dog really was too thoughtful and meek. Xiao Zhan couldn't refuse.

[Okay, I'll be troubling you then.] His tone was so courteous he even surprised himself, but after sending that response, he still felt troubled, so he sent a message a few minutes later as a show of concern for his xuedi: [What are you doing?]

Wang Yibo didn't respond to him for a while. At this curious occurrence , Xiao Zhan sent a voice call invitation and after seven or eight rings, it connected.

"Xuezhang, why so suddenly......"

Wang Yibo's hair was dripping wet and there was even still some foam in it. He had just gone off to wash his hair.

"Silly dog." Xiao Zhan wanted to laugh when he saw this messy appearance. And he had the obsessive-compulsive urge to reach through the screen and brush the foam from his hair.

Wang Yibo roughly wiped his hair with a towel, but the water droplets had already soaked a great deal of his T-shirt, pressing it against his body. He pulled at his shirt but didn't take it off.

Suddenly, Xiao Zhan was curious about Wang Yibo's figure. He didn't seem to be thin and weak, with broad shoulders and long legs, but he always wore clothes when going into the bathroom and always changed clothes before he came out. It seemed he had never seen him undressed.

Although they are an alpha and an omega, as a man, Xiao Zhan still wanted to make a bit of a comparison.

"Your shirt is wet, take it off," he ignored any ounce of charm and gentleness and instead ordered frankly.

Wang Yibo mumbled in reply, "It's okay, I'll do it later......"

Xiao Zhan laughed, "Don't be embarrassed, I won't mock your poor body."

"I...... Okay." Wang Yibo hesitated for a few seconds and then gave in. Holding his phone off to the side, he grabbed the corner of his shirt and prepared to take it off. Just as he had lifted it a few centimeters upwards—

"Baobei, come and have some fruit." Papa Xiao came in with a plate of cut fruit.

In the video call, Wang Yibo immediately dropped his shirt when he heard the voice. Xiao Zhan thought it was a bit of a pity.

"Who are you chatting with, laughing so happily? Your boyfriend?" Papa Xiao asked in a gossip-like tone as he looked at the phone screen.

Xiao Zhan generously turned the screen towards him, "My roommate. Wang Yibo, this is my dad."

Wang Yibo's hair was still soaked with water and foam and he scrambled to wipe his hair. In his panic, the words didn't process properly in his brain and he shouted, "Dad! Hello!"

The Xiao family father and son froze and then immediately burst into laughter. Papa Xiao was overjoyed, "Aiyo, this kid is really funny."

Wang Yibo was too embarrassed to look up, "Excuse me, excuse me......"

"Enough, silly," Xiao Zhan scolded, harsh in tone but with a smile on his face, "I'm hanging up first."

Wang Yibo quickly said goodbye to him and his father and apologized a few more times.

Xiao Zhan hung up the video call, and Papa Xiao immediately probed, "Was that an alpha? You live together? I think he seems pretty good."

Xiao Zhan had been struggling with these damn emotional issues for a while. He really didn't want to talk about it at home too. He picked up the fruit plate and pushed his dad out with it, "When I find a partner, I'll tell you. Leave me alone now."

Papa Xiao angrily complained that his son had no consideration for his family, but then suddenly recalled something.

"Your roommate looks familiar, is he your former classmate?"

"No," Xiao Zhan answered shortly, but after saying it, he immediately remembered Wang Yibo had said that he had helped him before, chasing off some bullies.

When exactly did that happen? Had they met each other before? Wang Yibo's handsome slightly mixed-race appearance – if he'd seen him before, he should've had an impression of it.

I'll ask him when I get back to school.

Footnotes:
1. Baobei (宝贝): term of endearment, treasure, darling, baby
2. Meng (萌): internet slang for cute/adorable, from the Japanese term moe

Thanks a lot for reading! Hope you enjoyed.

Your comments and votes will be highly appreciated here. Follow me for more updates.

STAY TUNED!

STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!
HAVE A GREAT DAY / NIGHT!