CHAPTER 44

Early in the morning on New Year's Eve, the two grabbed their luggage and took a taxi to Xiao Zhan 's grandparents' house to pay a New Year call. The couple lived in a small Western-style house on the outskirts of the city, where the green plants made the air fresh and clean, suitable for an elderly couple in retirement.

Xiao Zhan had called ahead of time and said that he was coming to celebrate the New Year, so as soon as the car entered the neighborhood, he caught sight of his grandparents standing at the door of their house looking around in anticipation. When he got out of the car, he immediately walked over and greeted his grandparents. He hadn't seen them for a few months, but they were hale and hearty despite their age, their minds in very good condition. Xiao Zhan was able to let go of his worries and turned back to help Wang Yibo get their stuff out of the trunk. He led him over in front of his grandparents.

"This is who I told you about, my boyfriend, Wang Yibo."

Wang Yibo stood bolt upright, nervous to be under inspection.

"Xiao Wang looks so handsome. How old are you this year?" Grandpa Xiao asked with a beaming smile.

"Tw-Twenty!" Wang Yibo shot a guilty glance at Xiao Zhan as he announced his age.

Xiao Zhan understood exactly what he was thinking and helped to clarify, "Although he's younger than me, he's very good to me, very mature and stable, isn't that right?"

"Mhm, i-it could be put that way......"

"Look, still being so modest." Xiao Zhan patted his shoulder and said to his grandparents, "Let's go in and get out of this wind."

As soon as the group entered the door, they instantly heard a few barks of *wang wang*. A large golden retriever rushed out of the house, ears swinging and tail wagging, as if finally sniffing its master's scent. Xiao Zhan quickly put down the things in his hands and squat down, the large dog pouncing into his arms.

"Silly dog, did you miss me?" Xiao Zhan rubbed his head pamperingly and stroked his hand down its smooth long fur. The golden retriever cutely rubbed against its owner's palm, its bright black eyes full of affection.

Wang Yibo also crouched down when he saw this scene, "It's so obedient."

Grandma laughed, "That's right, it's so obedient. When strangers come, it barks."

"Really?" Xiao Zhan gripped the dog's front paw and turned it towards Wang Yibo beside him, "Silly dog, why didn't you bark at him? Do you know he's your kind?"

"Xuezhang......" Wang Yibo smiled bitterly.

"Just kidding." Xiao Zhan leaned towards him and whispered, "I like you so much."

Since the misunderstanding had been resolved, Xiao Zhan had seemed to be making up for his negligence, the word "like" fell from his lips every day over and over and he confessed from time to time, causing Wang Yibo's heart to race several times a day .

"I can see how much you pamper it and I know how much there was previously that I received without even knowing it1." Wang Yibo heaved a sigh. When Xiao Zhan had called him 'silly dog' before, he hadn't been looking down on him at all. On the contrary, it had been an expression of his good feelings towards him, but he'd completely misunderstood.

Xiao Zhan bumped his shoulder, "Never mind, it was my mistake. If I had known what that guy, Luo YongHeng, had said earlier.... I'll spoil you more in the future, to make up for all the injuries to your little heart."

The large golden retriever let out a few more *wang* barks, seeming to express its dissatisfaction with another taking its place in its master's heart.