Chapter 4

Alex

It was her.

My eyes took over the position she was in. A golden stiletto clutched in her right hand raised as if ready to hit.

Dumbfounded was the word I would prefer to describe myself, But I don't let it show, I don't let anything show. I opened and shut my mouth, I wanted to say something but what came out was entirely else than how I pictured our first conversation to take place.

"What are you doing in my home?"

Seriously?

Of course, she was here for a reason is what I will assume. Though trying to hit me with a shoe scenario is quite suspicious.

"I_ I we-" she stuttered. Colour rushing to her face.

"Buzz is back" I hear Ash scream and jump on the couch. The creases it made on the sofa were such a nuisance, against the etiquette I was raised with. But again I look at the little girl. My sister.

She was happy. I don't think I want to ruin that for her.

"You know him, Ashley?" The girl asked confused, and the girl is all I could address her with, I still wasn't acquainted by her name.

Though I tried following her around the classes she did her best to avoid me. I am not a fool, I know she even saw me wave at the cafeteria.

All this hard-headed cat and mouse kind of chase forced me to almost believe in Tyler's words, just maybe she was obnoxious and a freak.

But now seeing her in my home act like a normal perplexed girl, I wanted to know her more.

"I am her brother" I caught her attention and her eyes widen. Those grey eyes.

"I-i am sorry about this. I thought you were some intruder" she said blinking her embarrassment away. With the tip of her ears turning red she shuffled on her feet.

I smiled at her. As genuine as it could get.

"Buzz, meet Elaine. She will take care of me when Mom is away to do her fishoterpy" Ash introduced us while clinging to my legs. I took her up and carried her inside leaving Elaine still surprised.

It must have been startling to meet the guy she has been avoiding since morning only to face him at his own home.

I smirked at my thoughts.

I put Ash back on her feet and advised her to go to her room promising to be back there in a few. She agrees as I tried to get used to how she accepted those promises so easily. Only if she knew who made those promises to her. So naive to know who her brother was.

She kisses my cheek and warns me to take care of her amazing new friend and not to scare her away.

My exact thoughts.

My conscience mocks me. The previous history making it impossible for me to accept that I can change.
I want to.

Once Ash was gone I turned to face her.

She gave me a forced smile. Locking her hands behind her back. A posture of anxiousness mixed with the behavior of an introvert.

"Hey."

"Hello," I reply. Scanning her once again, trying best for it to be friendly and not to come off as judgemental.

"I think that now you're here I should get going" she points at the door with her thumb, unsure.

"No, you can't"

She raises a brow. Suddenly looking like a feisty kitten.

She wasn't confident, rich, and wore fortune to carry herself like the ones I used to know.