Chapter 14

Alex

Contemplating on the brink of making a decision, to leave half an hour before my shift ends or to stay, I stood restless with my fingers tapping at the counter. It was eight-thirty and wal mart had no customer of interest. Lights dimmed out, it ignited the place with a sketchy sense.

As I was about to lose my work attire and call it a day, the door to the entry opens. The girl I know, well almost in the phase of to-get-to-know walks in, unaware of the boy at the counter. And immediately any thought of exhaustion was replaced by pure excitement.

Her hair was in a braid and she wore a shirt two sizes bigger than her. The indistinct vibe did nothing to blur the brightness she is. But soon her trail vanished within the queue of aisles.

But I waited, drumming my fingers as I entertained myself by inspecting the poster cut of a tall man, with a bushy beard beside some diabetic awareness sign.

Immediately my thoughts carried me to a junction of memory.

The memory of Lee. He was diabetic too. Before I could fall into the trance of missing him again I closed my eyes, exhaling a large sigh.

There were so many people I missed. They used to call me their friend. Special even.

Were they missing me now?

I would know if I unblocked them from my contact list.

Shifting I focused back on the task at hand.

After ten minutes the wait was put to an end as she appeared at the cash counter, stood right in front of me hugging her items, still concentrating her gaze over the overflowing bag of carrots and greens.

I cleared my throat while adjusting my cap cupping the back of my neck, this caught her attention as she craned her neck to see the tall ol me.

At least for her, I was tall enough.

"You can place it on side Miss" smirking I added " Let me do the rest"

"Alex" she half-whispered half uttered as if assuring herself of my presence.

"Alex, in flesh" I smiled as I picked each of her packages for barcode scanning, it also included a women's item that had both of us undergo an embarrassing moment of silence. Not that we were talking, to begin with.

When I handed her the bag, after receiving the required dollars. I was met with a breathtaking smile.

Was she always this beautiful or she has the most beautiful smile that I've ever seen?

"You pop up everywhere," she said her voice taking a playful edge.

"I'll call it fate" she rolled her eyes, I would've probably too if was her.

"You work here" It was not a question.

"Unfortunately" I sighed.

There was a tiny frown, that made her look cute and concerned at the same time "why? I mean if you don't like it. Why do you work? You volunteer at the library every Wednesday and Monday too"

"I've been observed crucially I see" arching a brow, I planted both my palms by the desk and leaned forwards.

She returned an uninterested cold look despite my try on mock intimidation "That was not the answer"

There was this something about her, that forces me to trust her. Her no-bullshit point of view in life shows her maturity to see the world as it is, I know she won't judge me for who I was in past. But my vulnerable and weak part says otherwise.