Chapter 48

Elaine

The gurgling sound of water being poured into a glass took over the deafening silence of my room as I cautiously watched Riley take a sip from it. Chugging it down entirely she placed them on the night stand and turned to me.

"I told you not to scream so much." Raising my chin I add bravely, but diminished all form of dauntlessness the next thing when she glared at me.

Narrowing my eyes I follow her sneaky movements as she picks a pillow from my bed and throws them in my way. I duck in time dodging it. Before I could gather out from the initial shock of an attack, another one landed on my chest, knocking a breath of impact.

Two more onslaught of cushiony assault later I witnessed her anger dilute to accusation. When riley saw the mishap of an event unfolding under the terrace, all thanks to my stupid nature who forgot her mobile in cafeteria and she being the responsible best friend had carried it with her, trailing behind me in the same manner I did with Alex.

It was a mutual agreement and a glimmer of evil I will see you after school look in her eyes as we silently walked down the stairs.

And as a result now we both sat with our legs crossed upon the plush furry purple rug on the floor.

I finished the edited and safe version of the story that I had fed Nathan and Noah with. But unlike them Riley was a girl and she was dramatic in persona, And that must explain most of my sufferings. And when I was done, I could feel my ears ring with all the shouting and shrilling from her part.

"This is crazy" she exclaimed as I cringed at the piercing noise, going as far as to wiggling one of my ears with index when she wasn't looking.

"You're going to hurt your throat at that rate" I grumbled watching my toe nails intently, not meeting her eyes. I felt her gaze on me for a long time so I looked up to see her smirking at me. It was odd gesture on her face as I was usually comfortable with her bubbly personality. But the way her eyes carried a knowing glint of mischeviousness, it was scary.

"You have no idea do you?" she asks sighing as I frowned deeper.

"Idea of what?"

"Alexander, he still really likes you." She paused to squint her eyes at me in blame "when he first started acting strange, especially when it involved you I thought that he has turned into something vile. But now I see it. He's just angry and jealous that he couldn't have what he wants the most, so by being jerk is what it helps to keep you around him. He takes it without a second thought. Don't you see it? it's fate Elaine. Him ending up in your town. You both falling for each other and then you ending up here. It's just too much of a coincidence, yet so logically romantic" clasping her hands in front of her chest like in a prayer, she blinked her lids comically as I burst into a fit of laughter.

"What's so funny?" crossing her arms she purses her lips at me as I grin shaking my head in amusement.

"I assume you've read and watched way too many romantic novels and movies" I giggle weirdly as she rolls her eyes but smiles sheepishly a second later, her playful aura much to my dejection morphs into utter seriousness as she turns to look at me with a hard authorative stare.

"Alexander White never dates Elaine, heck the only thing that captures his interests are occassionally is his hairs. And you, you are something that surpasses it. It means something, something big." I blink at her as she watches me expectantly, probably hoping me to feel a sense of prideful accomplishment on being better a subject of interest then someone's hairs.

"Okay" I drawl out nodding, as she smiles toothily. And the topic is laid to rest for a while before she brings another up.

"Lee is throwing a birthday party" surprised my brow raises a fraction as I look at her in question.