Chapter 29

Elaine

Focusing on the cloud of steam coming from the beige ceramic mug I press both of my palms holding it as if my life depended on them. The heat courses through my freezing nerves as a jolt of satisfaction leaves my lips.

Lifting my gaze through the lashes I clear my throat to break the silence when the words die inside me in the presence of Alex's back.

He stood by the bed, his back facing me as he attended his wounds while I  gawked like a fish on drugs, as I let my eyes roam his bare skin.

Perfect was the term for whatever he was. Not built like dave neither tall like Aiden, but the lean muscles were at the required places. the dents on his back were more prominent as he leaned down to take a vial of disinfectant.

Not that I was suspecting Alex to not have flesh and bones under his clothing, But what left me off guard was the tattoo of an single angelic wing, like that of a phoenix that adorned his mid spine from back running through his right arm, dominating his skin completely, stopping only countable inches below his biceps were the tip of the dark feathers tipped into faded nothingness.

He never mentioned he had a tattoo. But then I realize he never mentioned anything to me ever. I was blind as a bat when it came to him, the basic things I know about him were just because I was a rebellious bat and well trained in technology.

They both had not uttered a single word after that, April picked us up from the spot before we could've died of hypothermia and bought us to their safe haven.

No matter how much I shove the thoughts away. I know what I heard. They were on repeat, faintly like a broken tape recorder.

"This was not an accident, this was a planned attempt on murder"

Murder, a shiver ran down my spine as I pictured all three of us cold, almost dead in the car, police barricades a couple square feet surrounding us. Sirens of ambulance and people I love fighting for their last breaths.

Love?

But Who would want to kill three harmless teenagers?

"The sweater looks nice on you" April said choosing a lone seat beside me near the kitchen bar. The twins lived in a bright and woody furnished studio apartment which had a vintage touch to it for a theme. A huge queen sized bed sat in the middle with grey couch bolted to the floor was right opposite the large flat screen T.V mounted on the wall.

The warm golden light bathing the room with a calm atmosphere did nothing to stop the rhythmic tapping of my foot with anticipation.

The adjoining small spare room on right with a stripe of pink caught my attention. It was enough to convince me who it belongs to.

"Great try to change the topic, but no. You can't fool me this time" I gave a pointed look at her way. Being the only person in the room who is clueless about what's going on is kind of an ultimatum towards the caliber of my patience.

I could see Alex's form stiffen at my words, though he tried his very best to pretend that buttoning a navy blue shirt was the most important task he had on his hands.

It was a little oversized seeing to that aiden was taller and much broader than him. He must be 6.2feet while I could bet alex was not more than 5.11.

I gulped taking a sip of my knightly coffee, hoping it'll save me from more embarrassment as it helped me with the cold. And yes, being ignored was an embarrassment in itself.

Aiden who had been awfully silent on the couch burst out abruptly "Are you going to ignore us all right now? as if nothing happened. I warned you so many times and all you did was ignore. But now it was our life at stake so I won't let you jerk deci _"