Chapter 58

Alex

"Why are you both here?" with a common enquiring tone I ask them, my hands shuffling and gliding inside the drawer in an attempt to locate my car keys.

"The question is quite ironic don't you think?" Lee retorted from behind as I shove the keys in my pocket as I stride to my wardrobe, once I spot my jacket I pull them over my arms simultaneously turning to bestow my attention towards Hailey and a precisely pissed off Lee.

"Where are you going?" Hailey for the first time spoke, vividly terminating my task I look at her.

"Somewhere" with a yank at the hem i tense the blazer by the shoulders.

This seem to dismantle the thin patience Lee had been willingly holding up since he stepped into my room, uninvited. His eyes squints under the soft glow of the light, glimmering with frustration. An emotion which was really rare when he was involved.

"Is this how you explain what the hell happened a couple of nights ago? By running off again?" he hisses taking a step towards me as Hailey places one of her hands upon his shoulders to stabilize his nerves.

Funny the way I can bring the cruelest of urges in human by just being me.

Silence. That's what I give him.

"I haven't seen Edmund since the party and you-" his lips curves into a hideous snarl as I divert my gaze to the floor. It appeared much more hospitable then him at the moment "you come back only to pack your damn bags and execute your plan to escape like a coward"

My jaw clenches as I heard his words, loud and clear. True but painful.

"My absence is the only thing that could make this all right" I say it, so soft and low that I would be surprised if they caught up on it. But they did, since my confession was the only element that they were here for. And I had no other option to give them what they want.

"Ridiculous. That's how you sound." Lee grits his teeth and that's when I realize how much the table has been turned around. The intimidator has became the intimidated. But I know what I was doing and suppose to, this time I do.

"You know nothing about it Lee. Trust me, it's for the best" assuring him felt more like donning the belief within myself.

"The word trust doesn't suit you Alex, especially when you have been keeping things from us. We don't know much about Elaine, but you- you were one of us. A friend. So imagine when we saw you almost on the verge of breaking down and having no clue as to what actually happened" his stark anger was nothing compared to mine, but it was laced with concern and incredulity. Diverse to it, he tried to mend things with them. Probably knock some sense in me.

"I love Elaine"

Before I know it the words spills out. The dense silence suffocates my confession as I leech my gaze on the painting behind him.

"And I don't think I could ever stop loving her. I-" my voice cracks as I look back at their composed but startled gaze on me, perhaps they weren't expecting me to give in so soon. Clearing my throat I continue "-I met her in Summersville, a town in North Carolina. That's were I had been till I returned." Licking my dry lips I wait for them to take it in. when Lee's stern eyes locks with mine I take it as a cue to proceed. I walk to the recliner and take a seat, my hands clamped at it's edges on either side.

"I still remember the first day I saw her, she did her best to ignore me. Kept telling me that she wasn't the kind of a friend I should be looking for and what not. I guess she was smart enough to sense the grenade I was. Heck she's a literal genius so what else could you expect from her" I subconsciously found a faint smile curving across my lips as the nostalgia sluggishly creeped over me.

The Girl At The Last On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara