Chapter 8

Alex

I lied. It was equivalent to fooling myself. No matter how much I shrug her face out of my system, it crawls back with more force and clarity. I had only known her for a little and she already has that stubborn effect on me.

I still cared about her, if not I wouldn't be bothered about her yesterday. She was so vulnerable and hurt, it wasn't obscure anymore. Tyler and Karly have filled me in with so many tales about this school that now I felt pity for being a student myself.

Disgust clogged me when they proudly displayed their role play in making a person's life miserable.

Coming from a boy who is capable of damaging people beyond repair is called something along with the word hypocrisy. But even I know to respect the sanctuary of innocent people.

Taking pride in their pain was cowardice. And I could never be among them.

Elaine was the subject between the cafeteria tables wide up times. More than I could count on my fingers. Throughout all these scandals and gossip, the one thing that kept coding my observation was Tyler's extra celestial dislike towards her. He will confess his hatred for her, But won't celebrate others' perspective on her when they boasted it around.

A morsel of humanity?

Lunacy.

That's what it was. He wanted to have sole power over her. To break her enough so that it could raise him to the spot where he could stand atop of the pride chain shamefully.

Looking down at them.

The overwhelming emotion to see someone scrambled by their feet. Under their mercy. An unseen hold upon their life.

How was that good?

But then I question myself again.

Why was it so good all this time?

"Your shift is over Alex, you may leave now'' Mrs.Jean's strong and sharp voice-guided my last set of Books into their respective racks, On the library shelf. I turned to see her standing before me with a bubbling smile once I was done.

For a librarian she sure was liberal. But when did this school ever had a normal crowd?

"Yeah, I am done. Leaving now" I say simultaneously as I pick my backpack and hang it low on my shoulders.

"It's good to have you around son," she said waving her wrinkly thin fingers. Unsure how to bid a farewell I wiggled mine.

"Me too, trust me. It's good to be around myself too" I left with that, not regretful or paranoid of my decision.

On the second week, after I made those muck of friends, I know they were not the kind with whom I Should spend my whole day with. So a peaceful job at the library gave me back my peace of mind.

It was on run.

I kept finding excuses to be anywhere but at home or school. But as a teenager, those two places were something unavoidable. Like asking for a Nutella without chocolate. Or nut.

So I took the leisure time to burn all my credit cards. Freedom rushed through my blood as I destroyed the last straw which bonded me with my dearest father.

Still has the name white tagging along.

I groaned internally.

I took few strides out, admiring the trees and the blooming buds. They made me excited about petting my own set of a little garden in the backyard.

I like growing trees. So what if I was a guy?

The feeling of raising a life, watching them grow right before your eyes give you a sense of satisfaction. And when you help a segment to become healthy or save it from dying out? You are a hero.